An environment of support, dedication, and shared values.
If you’re determined to excel, we have a place for you.
Build a Real Career with Us
Everything we do, from our comprehensive benefits to our networking activities, is thoughtfully-designed for the growth and benefit of our employees and ultimately our clients. As an Am Law 200 firm, we are large enough to offer challenging and meaningful work while maintaining a just-right size that fosters a collegial and collaborative culture. If you’re determined to excel, we have a place for you.
Corporate & Business Partner
Looking for a corporate and business partner with an interest in joining a rapidly growing, dynamic, and sophisticated corporate and business law practice. The ideal candidate has a range of clients from small, closely held family businesses, to large international corporations. Securities experience a plus. Candidate’s practice should focus in the area of corporate and business law with experience handling a variety of corporate and financial transactions and issues including corporate acquisitions, sales, mergers, corporate restructurings, contracts, and corporate governance issues. Candidate should have a transportable book of business in excess of $500,000.
Seeking Partner with substantial experience in Commercial Litigation. The ideal candidate has first chair experience appropriate to a sophisticated practice focused in New England. A transportable book of business in excess of $500,000 is a strong plus.
Looking for a healthcare lawyer in Massachusetts with a minimum of 8 years’ experience. Must have a proven record of servicing hospitals in some of the following areas of health law: regulatory, reimbursement, governance, and corporate matters. Must also have a proven ability to generate new hospital business independently. Candidate should have existing hospital portables.
Real Estate Partner
Boston, MA, Providence, RI, Manchester, NH or Hartford, CT
Seeking Partner with substantial experience in Real Estate. The ideal candidate has experience appropriate to a sophisticated practice focused in New England. A transportable book of business is a strong plus.
Trusts & Estates Partner
Our Boston office is seeking a Trusts & Estates Partner. The ideal candidate will have experience with various degrees of wealth planning, drafting wills and trusts and the ability to devise solutions to wealth-transfer problems. The focus of the position will also include probate and administration of decedents’ estates and trusts, post-mortem tax planning, preparation of federal and state estate tax returns, and issues relating to trust and estate litigation. A transportable book of business is a strong plus.
Intellectual Property Litigation Partner
Seeking an experienced intellectual property trial lawyer with 10+ years of patent, trademark and trade secret litigation and trial experience to join growing IP practice in Boston. Candidate must have significant experience managing cases and supervising/training associates, as well as specific experience with Markman and pretrial proceedings. Patent, trademark counseling and licensing experience would also be beneficial. A portable book of business is a strong plus. Admission to Massachusetts bar and U.S. District Court of Massachusetts required.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to work in a collaborative, team-oriented and sophisticated work environment. Candidates must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and a desire to develop practice through creative and innovative marketing initiatives.
Please submit cover letter and resume
Seeking an associate with 3-5 years of experience to work in our Construction Practice Group in Boston. The ideal candidate will have experience in sophisticated litigation practice focused in Massachusetts – construction litigation is a plus. Practical experience in construction and/or engineering is desirable. Admitted to Massachusetts Bar required.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume significant responsibility and hands-on experience in a collaborative, sophisticated and team-oriented work environment. Must have excellent writing and oral communication skills, along with an excellent academic record. Must also be highly motivated and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
Intellectual Property Associate
Seeking a Litigation Associate with 4-6 years of Intellectual Property (IP) litigation experience, including taking and defending depositions, drafting claim construction briefs and invalidity and non-infringement contentions and arguing motions in federal court. Substantial experience handling trademark, trade secret and copyright cases preferred. Admission to Massachusetts bar and U.S. District Court of Massachusetts required.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to work in a collaborative, team-oriented and sophisticated work environment. Candidates must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
Corporate & Business Junior Associate
Looking for a junior corporate and business associate with an interest in joining a rapidly growing, dynamic, and sophisticated corporate and business law practice. The ideal candidate will have practiced at least two years and have experience with a range of clients from small, closely held family businesses to large international corporations. Securities exposure a plus. Candidate’s practice should focus in the area of corporate and business law with experience handling a variety of corporate and financial transactions and issues, including corporate acquisitions, sales, mergers, corporate restructurings, contracts, and corporate governance issues.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume significant responsibility and hands-on experience in a collaborative and team-oriented work environment. Candidates must possess superior analytical and problem-solving skills and judgment, must excel in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment, and must be highly motivated with excellent oral and written communication skills.
Corporate & Business Mid-Level Associate
Looking for a mid-level corporate and business associate with an interest in joining a rapidly growing, dynamic, and sophisticated corporate and business law practice. The ideal candidate will have practiced at least five (5) years and have experience with a range of clients from small, closely held family businesses to large international corporations. Securities exposure a plus. Candidate’s practice should focus in the area of corporate and business law with experience handling a variety of corporate and financial transactions and issues, including corporate acquisitions, sales, mergers, corporate restructurings, contracts, and corporate governance issues. The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume significant responsibility and hands-on experience in a collaborative and team-oriented work environment. Candidates must possess superior analytical and problem-solving skills and judgment, must excel in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment, and must be highly motivated with excellent oral and written communication skills.
Thank you for your interest. There are no open positions available at this time, but please return to see our future opportunities.
Hinckley Allen is seeking an Office Assistant for our Trusts & Estates Practice Group in our Hartford, CT office.
If you’re forward thinking, hard-working, and dedicated, we have a place for you! Hinckley Allen provides challenging and dynamic work in an environment that has been cited “Best Place to Work,” year after year. We are not your typical law firm. We care about our employees on both a personal and professional level as showcased in our Advanced Professional Development program. Our competitive compensation, excellent benefits and a management team that supports growth and real work/life balance are just some of the things that allow us to attract and retain some of the nation’s top legal talent.
This person will be responsible for the support of the staff and attorneys in the group by performing varying administrative tasks. Tasks include answering phones, typing document and correspondence, scanning/copying of documents, and update/ maintenance of databases such as mailing lists, contact lists and client information for the practice group. This person will provide back-up and coverage for other Office Assistants, Reception Desk and Office Services, as well as perform work related errands as requested such as going to the post office, bank or courthouse.
We are looking for someone with strong customer service skills who is self-motivated, able to work independently, organized, detail-oriented, and flexible. Ideal candidate should have a friendly and welcoming demeanor and enjoy working in a team environment.
Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm. Occasional overtime is required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Approximately six months of on the job office/administrative experience.
- Familiarity with Outlook, Word, Excel and document management systems is preferred.
If you would like to be part of the Hinckley team, please contact us.
Service Desk Manager
We are looking for an experienced Service Desk Manager to provide overall leadership and oversight to the Service Desk team. Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, this role is expected to execute the planning, designing, and improvement of the Service Desk according to industry best practices, while ensuring a high level of customer support across all offices. In addition, the manager will be responsible for ensuring the standards and processes in place are followed and effective, as well as staffing levels and coverage to meet support requirements. This position is based in our Boston office.
- Oversee a staff of Service Desk Analysts, providing exceptional customer support to a regional professional services firm.
- Streamline Service Desk processes and procedures in order to achieve optimum efficiencies and performance.
- Improve efficiency and consistency by identifying opportunities to automate routine and complex tasks.
- Provide executive management performance reports on incident statistics, customer satisfaction surveys and training opportunities.
- Train, coach, mentor and provide professional development to Service Desk Analysts.
- Measure, monitor and improve customer support experience for all incoming support requests.
- Implement, manage and track Service Desk SLA’s.
- Implement and report on KPI’s for the Service Desk team.
- Manage Service Desk schedules to ensure adequate resources are available to support internal and external stakeholders 24/7.
- Provide technical support on a varying IT incidents including identifying, researching, and resolving technical incidents.
- Assist the Network Operations team as necessary.
- Provide direction to Service Desk Analysts to ensure accurate and clear follow-up on open incidents.
- Review, track and analyze incidents to point of resolution in accordance with defined SLA’s, including:
- Reduce number of inbound / abandoned calls as well as training, and resolve top support incidents
- Periodic follow-up with stakeholders once incident is closed
- Identify root cause to ensure permanent resolution.
- Analyze call and ticket data to assess customer service performance and provide weekly statistical reports on Service Desk performance
- Evaluate, document and identify gaps in current process and build remediation plans to ensure excellent customer service
- Bachelor Degree in IT, related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Three to five years’ of IT management experience within desktop support and customer service role.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, strong interpersonal communication skills, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing and to work effectively with individuals and teams, including non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage competing demands.
- Knowledge of desktop computer operations including network connectivity, installation, maintenance, configuration of hardware, and industry standard operating systems and software applications.
- Experience using Incident Management software for managing support requests (Zendesk, ServiceNow, BMC, etc.).
- Familiar with ITIL concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Microsoft and ITIL Foundation certifications desirable.
- Occasional travel within New England required.
Director of Financial Practice Management
Boston, MA, Providence, RI, or Hartford, CT
We are looking for a Director of Financial Practice Management to join us in our Boston MA, Providence RI or Hartford CT Offices.
The Director of Financial Practice Management (“FPMD”) is responsible for managing the financial and accounting functions of the Practice Groups. The FPDM works closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operating Officer/Executive Director, Director of Legal Practice Management, Managing Partner and Practice Group Leaders to help execute strategic decisions and assist in developing and implementing financial business plans for practice groups. The FPMD is responsible for supporting the Chief Financial Officer in achieving firm goals and objectives by managing many financial and accounting functions of the firm including financial analysis and forecasting, developing budgets, billing and collections and providing financial management advice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Provides financial projections, analysis and growth plans for practice groups in line with organizational objectives.
- Participates in the development of the firm’s financial plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Collaborates with other stakeholders on financial strategic planning by studying economic trends and revenue opportunities.
- Monitors practice group financial performance by measuring, analyzing and reporting results.
- Reports financial status by developing forecasts, reporting results, analyzing variances and developing improvements.
- Provides strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the firm; i.e. evaluation of potential alliances, acquisitions and/or mergers.
- Establishes and reports on financial controls and guidelines that optimize cost effectiveness and profitability.
- Researches, analyzes and recommends improvements in financial systems and reports.
- Assists CFO and COO/Executive Director with financial management and analysis as needed.
- Assists PGL’s with the review, preparation and analysis of their group’s financial information, budget process and billing rates.
- Assist PGL’s with the financial evaluation of lateral attorney candidates through business analysis and conflict processes.
Education and experience:
- Knowledge of business and management administration at a level normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Business or equivalent. Masters degree in Business Administration and/or Accounting strongly preferred.
- 5+ years progressively more responsible work experience with legal or other professional service organization in order to gain experience in managing the firm’s financial activities. Previous experience within a law firm environment is strongly preferred.
Our Summer Associate Program at Hinckley Allen gives participants a realistic sense of the demands, challenges and rewards of a position within our firm. Participants gain hands-on experience—through varied work assignments—in each of our primary practice areas. Both Associate- and Partner-level mentors guide the program. Additionally, there are plenty of opportunities to get to know our attorneys outside of the office through organized sporting events, dinners, community-focused projects and more.
Work Assignments: Summer Associates receive diverse and challenging assignments, and work alongside partners and more senior Associates. For example, assignments can range from a simple litigation research memorandum to assisting a partner at a complex real estate closing. We also provide the Summer Associates a chance to get involved with out-of-office experiences, including board meetings, depositions, arbitrations, client meetings, and judicial proceedings. Work is assigned to a Summer Associate based on, among other things, availability and practice areas of interest. Ultimately, the goal is to give each Summer Associate the opportunity to work in as many different areas of practice as possible throughout their summer. Moreover, each office has a designated assignment coordinator who coordinates projects for Summer Associates. In short, our goal is to provide Summer Associates with real work similar in complexity to what they would receive as a first or second year associate.
Practice Group Assignments: Summer Associates are not assigned to a specific department during the Summer Program. Summer Associates can express a preference to receive assignments from particular practice areas. Although we make every effort to accommodate their interests, we encourage Summer Associates to work on substantive projects from a variety of practice areas during the summer. Our goal is to offer intellectually stimulating projects that give Summer Associates an opportunity to demonstrate their writing, analytical, and advocacy skills, while working alongside partners and Associates who are deeply invested in their success at the firm.
Training: Because of the small size of our summer class, and the firm’s lean approach to staffing, our Summer Associates truly learn by doing, including joining our attorneys for meetings, negotiations, closings, depositions and court appearances. In addition to a wide variety of assignments that provide invaluable “on-the-ground” training, our Summer Associates are provided with numerous educational opportunities throughout the Summer Program. Trainings are focused on such topics as legal writing, skills development, law firm economics, project management and tips for how to succeed as an associate at Hinckley Allen.
Mentoring: Each Summer Associate is assigned three mentors, typically one associate and two partner co-mentors, from a range of practice areas, including the practice area where the Summer Associate has the strongest interest. The mentors assist the Summer Associates in any aspect of the Summer Associate program, as well as familiarize them with the firm’s policies, practices and procedures. In addition, the mentors may provide evaluations and feedback to the Summer Associates on their work product.
Social Events: The Summer Program is structured to give our Summer Associates a balance between work and social gatherings. A variety of social events are planned throughout the summer that provide summer associates with the opportunity to get to know our attorneys away from the office.
The firm is committed to diversity and inclusion. In addition to our general application, Hinckley Allen offers scholarships to diverse second-year and first-year law students. Scholarship recipients become part of the salaried 10-week summer program. The scholarship for a second-year student is $10,000. The scholarship for a first-year student is $5,000.
- Eligibility – Law student at an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, strong record of academics, leadership and a demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Application– Resume, transcript, writing sample and a personal statement that reflects life experiences and how you will contribute to the diversity of the firm and the legal profession generally. We accept diversity scholarship applications from second-year law students on a rolling basis. First-year law students can apply no earlier than December 1st of their first semester, until mid-January. You can follow Hinckley Allen on LinkedIn and Twitter or check back to our website for the latest updates.
- Selection Process – Applications will be reviewed and selected by a group of attorneys and management personnel.
Applications for the second-year scholarship can be submitted during the August/Fall recruiting season. Applications for Summer 2019 can be submitted between Monday, July 2, 2018 and Friday, August 31, 2018.
Applications for the first-year scholarship can be submitted between Friday, December 1, 2017 and Friday, January 12, 2018.
Supporting Your Career at Hinckley Allen
Take your career as far as you like with the support of our professional development team. We dedicate significant time and resources to developing and supporting our attorneys with practical, hands-on experience and mentorship.
Ongoing Communication is Key
Attorneys receive a formal evaluation at least once a year. Where appropriate, the firm may also conduct evaluations more frequently; the scope of the interim evaluations may vary depending on the circumstances. We also strongly encourage informal, real-time feedback at all times, in particular during and after individual assignments throughout the year.
A vital component of the annual evaluation process is the self-evaluation. A self-evaluation serves as an important vehicle to highlight accomplishments, contributions and outline their professional goals for the upcoming year.
The firm is committed to the professional development of its Associates. Accordingly, it offers a wide variety of formal training programs to supplement Associates’ on-the-job experiences. The firm is also qualified to provide continuing legal education (CLE) credit and hosts programs throughout the year. Many of the firm’s in-house CLE programs are open to clients. In addition, we offer training programs designed to strengthen our Associates’ business acumen on topics such as budgeting, billing, profitability and legal project management.
External training programs are encouraged as well. The firm maintains a membership with Practicing Law Institute (“PLI”), which is a leading CLE provider. PLI offers unlimited access to live programs, webinars and audio briefings on a wide variety of topics. The library issues each associate login credentials to access the PLI website. Attorneys may also attend outside training or CLE programs, bar association activities and professional conferences.
Mentoring is a fundamental part of your professional development at Hinckley Allen. We offer the resources you need to meet your professional goals and achieve success by providing every attorney a mentor or partner advisor. Our goal is to work with you to develop the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to become a top-notch lawyer. We want to make sure all of our attorneys are integrated and well-oriented to our firm culture and work environment, and we do that by creating an atmosphere that attracts and retains the most talented lawyers. Our mentoring program focuses on training programs inside and outside the firm, hands-on learning, and individualized support and guidance. Whether it’s discussing your career goals or strengthening your working relationships, we are here to provide you the ongoing support critical to your success.
Benefits & Compensation
Hinckley Allen is pleased to provide competitive compensation and benefits packages to our partners, employees and their families. Designed to support you through the many stages of your life, the benefits program provides you with the resources and support that you need, when you need it.
- Comprehensive group health, dental and vision plans
- Generous paid time off policies, including parental leave
- Employee and dependent group life insurance
- Short and long term disability insurance
- Retirement savings plan and college savings plan
- Pre-tax plans for medical, dependent care and transportation
- Cancer, accident and supplemental short term disability insurance
- Robust wellness programs and an employee assistance program
- Access to financial advisors for retirement planning, Medicare/Medicaid and social security
- Tuition reimbursement program
“This is a place where people are respected, appreciated, and supported. Helping all our personnel be the best they can be is at the heart of everything we do, from mentorship, to our strong work-life balance, and to the community and pro-bono work we support.”
– David J. Rubin, Managing Partner
The Hinckley Allen Difference
Hinckley Allen Managing Partner David Rubin and Deepwater Wind CEO Jeff Grybowski, and others describe how the firm provides value and delivers results by being adaptive, business-minded and responsive.
Recruitment & Development for Attorneys & Professionals at Hinckley Allen
From summer associates to attorneys, there’s an opportunity to grow as a member of Hinckley Allen’s firm. Hear from current Hinckley Allen employees like Partner Sarah Lemke and Associate Cori Palmer to find out about some of the ways we're fostering a work environment prided on developing future talent and leadership.
For questions or more information about careers at Hinckley Allen, please contact Megan McCormack.