Lauren is an associate in the Firm’s Litigation group. Lauren has diverse experience in advising clients in internal investigations and government-initiated investigations and enforcement matters, with particular focus on medical device and pharmaceutical companies. In 2018, Lauren completed a secondment within the compliance division of one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies.
While at the University of Chicago Law School’s Edwin F. Mandel Legal Aid Clinic Mental Health Project, Lauren defended the rights of clients with mental disabilities, both individually as well as through civil class actions and legislative efforts.
Internal and Government-Initiated Investigations
- Represented an assisted living company and its directors in connection with SEC investigation involving alleged accounting fraud and material
misrepresentations in securities filings.
- Assisted with internal investigation on behalf of biopharmaceutical company into potential fraudulent reimbursement claims.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in multi-pronged, parallel government investigations into alleged material misstatements in securities filings, off-label marketing practices, HIPAA violation, and other health-care related fraud.
- Conducted a post-merger insider trading investigation on behalf of a medical device company and its officers.
- Assisted with internal investigation on behalf of biopharmaceutical company into its promotional practices throughout Taiwan.
- Advised private equity firms and their executives in investigations related to political contributions under pay-to-play securities laws.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of private investment management company into employee allegations concerning securities pricing manipulation and performance-based compensation.
Anti-Corruption Enforcements and Diligence
- Represented a multinational medical device company in a major government-initiated Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation and subsequent monitorship. Assisted with various compliance efforts, internal investigations, and government presentations for various branch offices located throughout South America, Europe, and Asia.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation into government contract bidding processes in Malaysia.
- Conducted various anti-corruption and anti-money-laundering diligences for private equity firms in connection with their acquisitions of portfolio companies in South America, Africa, Asia, and Europe.
- Assisted in representation of digital media company in a class action litigation concerning revenue recognition irregularities.
- Assisted in civil antitrust matter between cable television provider and content provider regarding package bundling and pricing.
- Hinckley Allen
- Associate (2020-Present)
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Litigation & Enforcement Associate (2012-2020)
- Business Unit Compliance Secondee (2018-2019)
- Mandel Legal Aid Clinic - Mental Health Project
- Legal Intern (2011-2012)
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
News & Insight
Hinckley Allen is pleased to welcome Lauren M. Modelski as an Associate in the Firm’s Litigation group.Lauren joins the Firm’s Boston office from Ropes & Gray LLP, where she handled matters pertaining to internal investigations and government-initi…
- Co-author, “Novartis Agrees to Settle Bribery Charges Against Chinese Subsidiaries for $25 Million,” Lexology (April 4, 2016)
- Co-author, “DPAs and Plea Agreements: The Tradeoffs,” Corporate Counsel (January 5, 2015)
- Co-author, “Smith & Wesson Settlement Raises FCPA Concerns for U.S. Businesses,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (August 22, 2014)
- Co-author, “Three’s Company or Three’s a Crowd? Working with Third Parties during an Internal Investigation,” Internal Investigation 2014, Practicing Law Institute (June 2014)