We have first-hand experience with the Chapter 9 bankruptcy process. We draw on our full range of bankruptcy, workout, restructuring, financial, transactional, litigation, labor, public finance, and regulatory attorneys to provide comprehensive advice to struggling municipalities. We counsel state governments, municipalities, emergency managers, receivers, creditors, insurers, bond issuers and holders, and others who need representation or advice in connection with municipal restructuring, bankruptcy, and other issues related to distressed financial situations.
A National Reputation in Complex Cases
Our services involving municipal restructuring and Chapter 9 bankruptcy cover a wide spectrum of legal disciplines. Accordingly, Hinckley Allen’s team is comprised of knowledgeable attorneys who can effectively represent a distressed municipality, including:
- Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights
- Government Relations
- Municipal Finance
- Governance and Corporate Counsel
- Employee Compensation, Pension, and Benefits Law
- Public-Private Partnership Arrangements
- Hinckley Allen served as special counsel to the state-appointed receiver in the Chapter 9 bankruptcy of the City of Central Falls, Rhode Island. The Hinckley Allen team assisted the receiver in all aspects of the Chapter 9 case, including addressing the city’s expenses to restore a positive financial situation, addressing pension issues under ERISA, and managing the city’s day-to-day operations.
- Hinckley Allen served as debtor’s counsel in the Chapter 9 case of the Central Coventry Fire District, a municipal entity in Coventry, Rhode Island. In that case, Hinckley Allen led efforts to negotiate with stakeholders, including secured lenders, employees, and municipal service providers, in an effort to reduce the debt of the municipal entity. Our attorneys also addressed operational inefficiencies of the district, explored financing options and potential legislative changes, and prepared a comprehensive plan of debt adjustment.
On August 2011 when the City of Central Falls, Rhode Island filed for Chapter 9 protection, approximately 300 American cities, towns and other special purpose districts were in default on their debt. While only a handful had filed for bankruptcy under Chap…
News & Insight
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers have recognized Hinckley Allen for the eleventh consecutive year as a Best Law Firm. Hinckley Allen has been ranked nationally in five practice areas and regionally in 58 practice areas.Firms included in the …
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers have recognized Hinckley Allen for the tenth consecutive year as a Best Law Firm. Hinckley Allen has been ranked nationally in five practice areas and regionally in 53 practice areas.Firms included in the 2020 …
Given the coming economic turbulence stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, general contractors should be prepared with a plan of action in case a project owner or subcontractor files a bankruptcy petition. This article discusses two issues in that regard wh…