Patrick A. Rogers chairs the Firm’s Corporate & Business Department. He provides legal, business, and strategic government advice to clients with a special focus on private middle market companies. He also represents investors, closely-held businesses, and public companies.
Pat helps clients grow and manage risk by providing practical guidance on business transactions – mergers, acquisitions, financings, buyouts, investments, and joint ventures. Together with his partners, Pat also provides business litigation advice and real estate counsel.
His industry experience spans from defense to education; from life sciences to building products; from technology to finance. He also works closely with manufacturers and distributors.
In addition to his business law practice, Pat has deep government experience at the state, federal, and municipal level – most recently serving as Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel to the Governor of Rhode Island.
Pat serves as a board member and trusted advisor to many of his private company clients. This experience enables Pat to deliver practical business advice alongside thoughtful legal counsel.
Mergers and Acquisitions – Buy Side
- Lead transaction counsel to DSM Nutritional Products LLC, a global life sciences company, in its $634 million purchase of Fortitech, Inc
- Advised a Rhode Island precision metals manufacturer in its acquisition of a Massachusetts competitor
- Represented the nation’s largest drug store chain on acquisitions of speciality pharmacies throughout the United States
- Advised the founder of a wholesale gift company in its purchase of a Cape Cod – based family business
- Guided the management team in the leveraged buyout of a fifth-generation family manufacturing business
Mergers and Acquisitions – Sell Side
- Represented a telecommunications company in its $2.5 billion sale of 700 MHz spectrum to AT&T
- Advised the sole shareholder in the sale of a century-old Rhode Island jewelry manufacturer
- Represented the seller of a northeast regional chemical company to a Dutch purchaser
- Advised an online health/hospice education company in its sale to a private equity-backed purchaser
Joint Ventures / Strategic Combinations
- Represented a Rhode Island software company in its combination with a national data collection provider
- Negotiated a joint venture between two of New England’s largest wine and spirits distribution companies
- Advised a global pharmaceutical contract manufacturer on a $2.6 billion joint venture transaction
- Lead counsel to i-Health, Inc., a Royal DSM subsidiary, in its acquisition of UAS Laboratories, LLC (UP4 probiotic brand)
- Lead counsel to DSM Nutritional Products in its investment in an animal health business headquartered in Cambridge, MA
- Represented the lead investor in the auction sale of its sports eyewear portfolio company
- Represented New England’s largest flooring products distributor in its controlling investment in a leading Mid-Atlantic-based flooring company
Corporate Counseling and Advising
- Counsels a growing New England-based beverage distributor in executing its expansion strategy
- Represents a leading East Coast flooring products distributor, serving as general counsel
- Advises clients on employment matters, business transactions, and strategic initiatives
- Advises an owner and manager of casino operations traded on the New York State Exchange
Education & Nonprofits
- General counsel to a leading coeducational boarding school located in southern New England
- Guided an independent school in its acquisition of and relocation to a new campus
- Represents the Rhode Island Foundation, the state’s largest private philanthropy, on corporate law and business matters
- Represents private colleges and universities on a wide range of legal projects
- Represented a metals manufacturer in relocating its headquarters to a new industrial location
- Advised a municipality in settling a real estate dispute at a federal superfund site
Public-Private Partnerships; Public Entities
- Advised global pharmaceutical and consumer products company Johnson & Johnson in establishing a health technology center
- Special legal counsel to the Rhode Island Airport Corporation
- Hinckley Allen
- Chair, Corporate & Business Department
- Partner (2012-Present)
- Associate (1994-1997)
- Governor Lincoln D. Chafee (Rhode Island)
- Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel (2011-2012)
- Edwards & Angell LLP/Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP
- Partner (1997-2010)
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers in America® (2015-2019)
- "Lawyer of the Year" (2019)
- Recognized for Corporate & Mergers and Acquisitions Law
Charitable & Civic Involvement
Chafee for Governor Committee
- Chairman and Finance Chair
- Chairman, Governor-elect Transition Team, Chairman
- City of East Providence, Rhode Island, City Council Member
- East Providence Waterfront Economic Development Commission, Founding Chairman
Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council (RIPEC)
- Vice Chairman
- United States Peace Corps – Volunteer, School Construction Program, Lambarene, Gabon, Africa
- United States Senator John H. Chafee, Legislative Assistant, Washington, D.C.
- Rhode Island
News & Insight
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, including seven “Lawyers of the Year.” Only one lawyer in each specialty in each region is honored as a “La…
Noble F.Jomarie T.Robert J.James J.Leon C.John J.William W.Christine K.
Hinckley Allen Advises Belknap-White Group in its Controlling Equity Investment in J.J. Haines Company
Hinckley Allen advised The Belknap-White Group on its controlling equity investment in J.J. Haines Company. Read more about its acquisition here.
Executive succession can be challenging for a family business. Hinckley Allen helped ATW Companies through a successful transition. Original story.
Hinckley Allen is representing Royal DSM, a global life sciences and material sciences company client, in a $2.6 billion series of transactions that will combine Patheon, Inc. (TSX: PTI) and the DSM Pharmaceutical Products business group into a new company…
Hinckley Allen Represents Online Education Client, Hospice Education Network, Inc., in Exit Transaction
Hinckley Allen recently represented Hospice Education Network, Inc. in its sale to Relias Learning, the leader in online learning content and learning management systems for the senior care industry. The acquisition will add over 160 hospice and palliative…
Hinckley Allen Represents Belknap-White Group on Strategic Partnership with Maryland-based Flooring Products Distributor
Hinckley Allen advised The Belknap-White Group on its investment and collaboration agreement with Haines. Read more about what Raymond Mancini, CEO of Belknap-White Group has to say about the transaction here.
Hinckley Allen advised Fond du Lac Cold Storage (FDL) as lead counsel on its sale to Incline Equity Partners (Incline), in a transaction managed by Riperian Partners. Read more about the partnership on the Providence Business News, or on Incline News.
Patrick A. Rogers has deep government experience – state, federal, and municipal. His practical advice guides clients through an increasingly complex governmental and regulatory system.
Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel to Rhode Island Governor Lincoln D. Chafee.
- Pat was a leader of the team that conceived and drafted the I-195 Redevelopment District Commission law that governs the planned development of 20 acres in the center of Providence, Rhode Island
- Legislative Assistant – United States Senator John H. Chafee, Washington, D.C.
- Pat was the Senator’s representative to the Senate Banking Committee. He drafted the law co-authored by Senator Chafee and then Representative (now Senator) Jack Reed that provided a $181 million federal loan guarantee to the Rhode Island Depositors Economic Protection Corporation (DEPCO)
- Chief Legal Officer/Solicitor – Town of Coventry, Rhode Island
- East Providence Waterfront Economic Development Commission, Founding Chairman
- Elected Member – East Providence City Council (three terms)