Patrick A. Rogers chairs Hinckley Allen’s Corporate & Business Law Department. He provides legal, business, and strategic government advice to clients, with a focus on private middle market companies. Pat also represents investors, closely-held businesses, and public companies.
Pat helps clients grow and manage risk by providing practical guidance on business transactions – mergers, acquisitions, financings, buyouts, investments, and joint ventures. Together with his partners, Pat also provides business litigation advice and real estate counsel.
His industry experience spans from defense to education; from life sciences to building products; from technology to finance. He also works closely with manufacturers and distributors.
In addition to his business law practice, Pat has deep government experience at the state, federal, and municipal level – most recently serving as Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel to the Governor of Rhode Island.
Pat serves as a board member and trusted advisor to many of his private company clients. This experience enables Pat to deliver practical business advice alongside thoughtful legal counsel.
Mergers and Acquisitions – Buy Side
- Lead transaction counsel to DSM Nutritional Products LLC, a global life sciences company, in its $634 million purchase of Fortitech, Inc.
- Advised a Rhode Island precision metals manufacturer in its acquisition of a Massachusetts competitor
- Represented the nation’s largest drug store chain on acquisitions throughout the United States
- Advised the founder of a wholesale gift company in its purchase of a Cape Cod – based family business
- Guided the management team in the leveraged buyout of a fifth-generation family manufacturing business
- Represented DSM in its acquisition of Ava Company, a cutting-edge personalized nutrition business headquartered in Boston
- Represented DSM Biomedical in its purchase of a biomaterials company located in New Jersey
Mergers and Acquisitions – Sell Side
- Represented a telecommunications company in its $2.5 billion sale of 700 MHz spectrum to AT&T
- Advised the sole shareholder in the sale of a century-old Rhode Island jewelry manufacturer
- Represented the seller of a northeast regional chemical company to a Dutch purchaser
- Advised an online health/hospice education company in its sale to a private equity-backed purchaser
- Represented a 102-year-old, third-generation printing and packaging manufacturer in its strategic sale to a global private equity firm based in Europe
Joint Ventures / Strategic Combinations
- Represented a Rhode Island software company in its combination with a national data collection provider
- Negotiated a joint venture between two of New England’s largest wine and spirits distribution companies
- Advised a global pharmaceutical contract manufacturer on a $2.6 billion joint venture
- Lead counsel to i-Health, Inc., a Royal DSM subsidiary, in its acquisition of UAS Laboratories, LLC (UP4 probiotic brand)
- Lead counsel to DSM Nutritional Products in its investment in an animal health business headquartered in Cambridge, MA
- Represented the lead investor in the auction sale of its sports eyewear portfolio company
- Represented New England’s largest flooring products distributor in its controlling investment in a leading Mid-Atlantic-based flooring company
Corporate Counseling and Advising
- Counsels a growing New England-based beverage distributor in executing its expansion strategy
- Represents a leading East Coast flooring products distributor, serving as general counsel
- Advises clients on employment matters, business transactions, and strategic initiatives
- Advises a casino operator traded on The New York Stock Exchange
Education & Nonprofits
- General counsel to a leading New England coeducational boarding school
- Guided an independent school in its acquisition of a new campus
- Represents the Rhode Island Foundation, the state’s largest private philanthropy, on business law matters
- Represents private colleges and universities on a wide range of legal projects
- Represented a metals manufacturer in relocating its headquarters to a new industrial location
- Advised a municipality in settling a real estate dispute at a federal superfund site
Public-Private Partnerships; Public Entities
- Advised global pharmaceutical and consumer products company Johnson & Johnson in establishing a health technology center
- Special legal counsel to the Rhode Island Airport Corporation
- Hinckley Allen
- Chair, Corporate & Business Law Department
- Partner (2012-Present)
- Associate (1994-1997)
- Governor Lincoln D. Chafee (Rhode Island)
- Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel (2011-2012)
- Edwards & Angell LLP/Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP
- Partner (1997-2010)
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers in America® (2015-2021)
- Lawyer of the Year (2019)
- Recognized for Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses, Corporate & Mergers and Acquisitions Law
Charitable & Civic Involvement
Chafee for Governor Committee
- Chairman and Finance Chair
- Governor-elect Transition Team, Chairman
- City of East Providence, Rhode Island, City Council Member
- East Providence Waterfront Economic Development Commission, Founding Chairman
Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council (RIPEC)
- Vice Chair
- United States Peace Corps – Volunteer, School Construction Program, Lambarene, Gabon, Africa
- United States Senator John H. Chafee, Legislative Assistant, Washington, D.C.
- Rhode Island
News & Insight
See how we drove significant results for clients in 2020.
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 59 attorneys in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, including 12 “Lawyers of the Year.” Best Lawyers® has also recognized 10 Hinckley Allen attorneys in their inau…
Only one lawyer in each specialty in each region is honored as a “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®. Since its first publication in 1983, Best Lawyers® has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence. Best Lawyers compi…
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, including seven “Lawyers of the Year.” Only one lawyer in each specialty in each region is honored as a “La…
Noble F.Jomarie T.Robert J.James J.Leon C.John J.William W.Christine K.
reInvention Enters Into a Definitive Agreement to Acquire Technology Firm, Critical Mix – Founder, Goglia Joins Board of DirectorsDecember 20, 2012
Hinckley Allen represented Critical Mix, Inc. in its strategic combination with reinvention, LLC, a global sampling and data collection services provider. Patrick A. Rogers (corporate), Avi M. Lev (tax) and David S. Hirsch (corporate) assisted our client C…
Hinckley Allen represented DSM Nutritional Products, LLC as lead transaction counsel in its $634 million purchase of Fortitech, Inc. of Schenectady, NY. Patrick A. Rogers led a team of Hinckley Allen lawyers who assisted our client DSM, a global science-b…
Hinckley Allen represents The Belknap White Group, Inc. (Mansfield, MA) in its strategic acquisition of Patriot Flooring Supply, Inc. (Pompton Plains, NJ)September 18, 2012
Hinckley Allen represented The Belknap White Group, Inc. (Mansfield, MA) in its strategic acquisition of Patriot Flooring Supply, Inc. (Pompton Plains, NJ). Patrick A. Rogers (corporate), Ashley M. Taylor (corporate) and Brian E. Tierney (finance) led the …
Patrick A. Rogers to Join Hinckley, Allen & Snyder – Former Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel to Governor Lincoln D. ChafeeJanuary 18, 2012
Marc A. Crisafulli, Managing Partner of Hinckley, Allen & Snyder LLP, announced today that Patrick A. Rogers, former Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel for Rhode Island Governor Lincoln D. Chafee, will join the firm as a partner in its corporate grou…
Hinckley Allen congratulates its client DSM on its acquisition of Midori Health, the Boston-based biotechnology start-up focused on animal nutrition and human health. We were proud to support the DSM legal and business team on this transaction.
Hinckley Allen Advises Belknap-White Group in its Controlling Equity Investment in J.J. Haines Company
Hinckley Allen advised The Belknap-White Group on its controlling equity investment in J.J. Haines Company. Read more about its acquisition here.
Executive succession can be challenging for a family business. Hinckley Allen helped ATW Companies through a successful transition. Original story.
Hinckley Allen is representing Royal DSM, a global life sciences and material sciences company client, in a $2.6 billion series of transactions that will combine Patheon, Inc. (TSX: PTI) and the DSM Pharmaceutical Products business group into a new company…
Hinckley Allen Represents Online Education Client, Hospice Education Network, Inc., in Exit Transaction
Hinckley Allen recently represented Hospice Education Network, Inc. in its sale to Relias Learning, the leader in online learning content and learning management systems for the senior care industry. The acquisition will add over 160 hospice and palliative…
Hinckley Allen Represents Belknap-White Group on Strategic Partnership with Maryland-based Flooring Products Distributor
Hinckley Allen advised The Belknap-White Group on its investment and collaboration agreement with Haines. Read more about what Raymond Mancini, CEO of Belknap-White Group has to say about the transaction here.
Hinckley Allen advised Fond du Lac Cold Storage (FDL) as lead counsel on its sale to Incline Equity Partners (Incline), in a transaction managed by Riperian Partners. Read more about the partnership on the Providence Business News, or on Incline News.
Join Hinckley Allen on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 as our experts help New England colleges and boarding schools reopen safely.We want to hear from you! Please click here to submit a question in advance to be read by our presenters and discussed during the web…
Patrick A. Rogers has deep government experience – state, federal, and municipal. His practical advice guides clients through an increasingly complex regulatory system.
Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel to Rhode Island Governor Lincoln D. Chafee.
- Pat was a leader of the team that conceived and drafted the I-195 Redevelopment District Commission law governing the planned development of 20 acres in the center of Providence, Rhode Island
- Legislative Assistant – United States Senator John H. Chafee, Washington, D.C.
- Pat was the Senator’s key aide on the Senate Banking Committee. He drafted the law co-authored by Senator Chafee and then Representative (now Senator) Jack Reed that provided a $181 million federal loan guarantee to the Rhode Island Depositors Economic Protection Corporation (DEPCO)
- Chief Legal Officer/Solicitor – Town of Coventry, Rhode Island
- East Providence Waterfront Economic Development Commission, Founding Chairman
- Elected Member – East Providence City Council (three terms)