Patrick A. Rogers is a business lawyer and Chair of the Firm’s Corporate & Business Department. He provides legal, business, and strategic government advice to clients with a special focus on private middle market companies. He also represents investors, closely-held businesses, and public companies.
Pat helps clients grow and manage risk by providing practical guidance on business transactions – mergers, acquisitions, financings, buyouts, investments, and joint ventures. Together with his partners, Pat also provides business litigation advice and real estate counsel.
His industry experience spans from defense to education; from life sciences to building products; from technology to finance. He also works closely with manufacturers and distributors.
In addition to his business law practice, Pat has deep government experience at the state, federal, and municipal level – most recently serving as Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel to the Governor of Rhode Island.
Pat serves as a board member and trusted advisor to many of his private company clients. This experience enables Pat to deliver practical business advice alongside thoughtful legal counsel.
Mergers and Acquisitions – Buy Side
- Lead transaction counsel to DSM Nutritional Products LLC, a global life sciences company, in its $634 million purchase of Fortitech, Inc.
- Advised a Rhode Island precision metals manufacturer in its acquisition of a Massachusetts competitor.
- Represented the nation’s largest drug store chain on acquisitions throughout the United States.
- Advised the founder of a wholesale gift company in its purchase of a Cape Cod – based family business.
- Guided the management team in the leveraged buyout of a fifth-generation family manufacturing business.
Mergers and Acquisitions – Sell Side
- Represented a telecommunications company in its $2.5 billion sale of 700 MHz spectrum to AT&T.
- Advised the sole shareholder in the sale of a century-old Rhode Island jewelry manufacturer.
- Represented the seller of a northeast regional chemical company to a Dutch purchaser.
- Advised an online health/hospice education company in its sale to a private equity-backed purchaser.
Joint Ventures / Strategic Combinations
- Represented a Rhode Island software company in its combination with a national data collection provider.
- Negotiated a joint venture between two of New England’s largest wine and spirits distribution companies.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical contract manufacturer on a $2.6 billion joint venture transaction.
- Lead counsel to i-Health, Inc., a Royal DSM subsidiary, in its acquisition of UAS Laboratories, LLC (UP4 probiotic brand).
- Lead counsel to DSM Nutritional Products Ltd. in its investment in an early stage animal health business headquartered in Cambridge, MA.
- Represented the lead investor in the auction sale of its sports eyewear portfolio company.
- Represented New England’s largest flooring products company in its investment in a leading Mid-Atlantic-based flooring distributor.
Corporate Counseling and Advising
- Counsels a growing New England-based beverage distributor in executing its expansion strategy.
- Represents a leading East Coast flooring products distributor, serving as general counsel.
- Advises clients on employment matters, business transactions, and strategic planning.
- General counsel to a leading coeducational boarding school located in southern New England.
- Guided an independent school in its acquisition of and relocation to a new campus.
- Represented a metals manufacturer in relocating its headquarters to a new industrial location.
- Advised a municipality in settling a real estate dispute at a federal superfund site.
Public-Private Partnerships; Public Entities
- Advised global pharmaceutical and consumer products company Johnson & Johnson in establishing its new health technology center in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Special legal counsel to the Rhode Island Airport Corporation.
- Chair, Corporate & Business Department
- Partner (2012-Present)
- Associate (1994-1997)
Governor Lincoln D. Chafee (Rhode Island)
- Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel (2011-2012)
Edwards & Angell LLP/Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP
- Partner (1997-2010)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America® (2015-2019), "Lawyer of the Year" (2019) Recognized for Corporate & Mergers and Acquisitions Law
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Chafee for Governor Committee - Chairman and Finance Chair; Govenor-elect Transition Team, Chairman
- City of East Providence, Rhode Island, City Council Member
- East Providence Waterfront Economic Development Commission, Founding Chairman
- Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council (RIPEC) - Director; Vice President
- United States Peace Corps – Volunteer, School Construction Program, Lambarene, Gabon, Africa
- United States Senator John H. Chafee, Legislative Assistant, Washington, D.C.
- Rhode Island
August 15, 2018
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition…
August 18, 2017
52 attorneys from Hinckley Allen were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2018 edition…
Executive succession can be challenging for a family business. Hinckley Allen's Pat Rogers helped ATW…
Hinckley Allen is representing Royal DSM, a global life sciences and material sciences company client,
Patrick A. Rogers has deep government experience – state, federal, and municipal. His practical advice guides clients through an increasingly complex governmental and regulatory system.
Chief of Staff and Executive Counsel to Rhode Island Governor Lincoln D. Chafee.
- Pat was a leader of the team that conceived and drafted the I-195 Redevelopment District Commission law that regulates the planned development of 20 acres in the center of Providence, Rhode Island.
- Legislative Assistant – United States Senator John H. Chafee, Washington, D.C.
- Pat was the Senator’s representative to the Senate Banking Committee. He drafted the law co-authored by Senator Chafee and then Representative (now Senator) Jack Reed that provided a $181 million federal loan guarantee to the Rhode Island Depositors Economic Protection Corporation (DEPCO).
- Chief Legal Officer/Solicitor – Town of Coventry, Rhode Island.
- East Providence Waterfront Economic Development Commission, Founding Chairman.
- Elected Member – East Providence City Council (three terms).
- Pat advises clients on complex government and regulatory matters. His deep federal, state, and local government experience helps clients manage critical government interactions.