Build a Real Career with Us.
Everything we do, from our comprehensive benefits to our networking activities, is thoughtfully designed for the growth and benefit of our employees and ultimately our clients. As an Am Law 200 firm, we are large enough to offer challenging and meaningful work, while maintaining a just-right size that fosters a collegial and collaborative culture. If you’re determined to excel, we have a place for you.
As a Firm, our reputation lies in building lasting relationships and delivering value for our clients and our people. Our deep experience and collaborative culture enable our attorneys to be efficient, effective and successful. Partner-level attorneys are critical to the achievement of each of these goals.
We reward performance and support all of our partners by investing in state-of-the-art technology, marketing and business development resources, and delivering operational excellence. Our lawyers have been recognized for their excellence by Chambers®, Martindale-Hubbell®, and Best Lawyers® — while also devoting themselves to public service and pro bono work. We are committed to a culture of respect and collaboration. We work hard to build a diverse, inclusive and welcoming work environment. And we promote leadership opportunities for our partners, both within the firm and in the communities we serve.
We welcome the opportunity to speak with partner-level candidates interested in joining our Firm. To learn more, please contact Lateral Hiring Partner, Todd M. Gleason.
Corporate & Business | Public Finance Associate
Boston, MA, Providence, RI, Manchester, NH or Hartford, CT
Seeking a Public Finance associate with three (3) to five (5)+ years of experience to work in our Boston, Providence, Manchester (NH), or Hartford offices. The ideal candidate will have experience representing bondholders, borrowers, underwriters, commercial banks, issuer authorities, purchasers and/or corporate trustees in a variety of public finance transactions. The candidate should also have substantial experience with drafting legal documents for tax-exempt bond transactions and with organizing closings of those transactions. Experience with tax-exempt bond financings for governmental entities, section 501(c)(3) organizations and for-profit companies, as well as familiarity with the federal tax law provisions that pertain to the issuance of tax-exempt bonds is preferred.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume significant responsibility and hands-on experience in an active, collaborative, sophisticated and team-oriented public finance practice. Candidates must possess superior research, analytical and writing skills. Must also be highly motivated and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
Litigation | Senior Associate
Hinckley Allen is seeking a Senior Litigation Associate to join its Boston office. The ideal candidate will have five (5)+ years of experience representing a range of clients in complex corporate and commercial disputes. Candidate should also have experience managing the discovery process, supervising junior associates and paralegals, taking/defending depositions, and handling court appearances. Admission to Massachusetts bar is required.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume significant responsibility and hands-on experience in a collaborative and team-oriented work environment. Must have superior analytical, writing and oral communication skills, along with an excellent academic record. Must also be highly motivated and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
Litigation | Environmental & Energy Mid-Level Associate
Seeking a Mid-Level Associate with an interest in joining a dynamic and sophisticated Environmental and Energy practice. The ideal candidate will have three (3) to seven (7) years of experience representing a range of clients in complex environmental and energy matters, including litigation disputes, permitting projects, counseling and representation in pre-litigation, compliance, administrative enforcement, and real estate/diligence matters. Experience advising clients on energy regulatory and transactional matters, securing siting and permit approvals for energy projects and appearing before state public utility commissions is a plus. Admission to Massachusetts Bar and/or Rhode Island Bar is required.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to work in a collaborative, team-oriented and sophisticated work environment. Candidates must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and a desire to develop practice through creative and innovative marketing initiatives.
Trusts & Estates | Paralegal
Seeking a Trusts & Estates paralegal for our Hartford office. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five (5) years of experience in handling of all aspects of the estate and trust administration process. Fiduciary administration and/or accounting experience desirable. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of probate pleadings (petitions, inventories, accountings, final reports, etc.);
- Preparation of documents relating to the identification, collection, and valuation of assets;
- Fiduciary accounting; and
- Preparation of estate, gift, and income tax returns.
There will be substantial client contact as well as interaction with the department’s attorneys. The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume significant responsibility and hands-on experience in a collaborative, sophisticated and team-oriented work environment. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication, computer (including Microsoft Word and Excel), problem solving, multitasking, and organizational skills. Must also be highly motivated and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
Construction & Public Contracts | Construction Litigation Paralegal
Hinckley Allen is seeking a Construction/Litigation Paralegal with three (3)+ years of practical experience in all phases of complex litigation – from case inception through resolution, which may include trial or arbitration. Actual trial or arbitration experience is a plus. The ideal candidate must be detail oriented and possess excellent organizational and project management skills. Experience with litigation support tools/applications such as Relativity, CaseMap, LiveNote, and Trial Director is strongly preferred. Degree or paralegal certificate is required.
Essential Functions include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Manage large-scale document review and production, including coding, Bates stamping, privilege review, tracking of documents, and preparation of witness and issue binders
- Work with the Firm’s Litigation Support team to create and manage document databases
- Set up and manage war rooms for discovery and/or trial or arbitration
- Assist with preparation of motion practice materials including, but not limited to, cite and fact-checking legal briefs, confirming proper Bluebook citation, and assembling of exhibits and appendices
- Prepare for and attend depositions, hearings, trials and arbitrations, as needed
- Coordinate assembly of exhibits and appendices for court papers, witness sets, depositions, arbitrations and trials
- Conduct factual or legal research; examine public records; monitor legislative and administrative proceedings as assigned; locate witnesses; trace documents and other physical evidence
- Maintain knowledge of all applicable procedural and court rules, proper docketing procedure, e-filing process and procedure, and e-discovery rules and process
- Draft routine correspondence and memoranda for attorneys as requested
- Manage calendar, docket and tickler systems and assist in meeting filing/action deadlines
- Communicate, interact and coordinate with all members of the team, including partners, associates, Litigation Support, IT, administrative assistants and office services
- Communicate, correspond and interact with clients and outside entities, such as, government entities, expert witnesses, vendors, corporations and other law firms to gather information or data
The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume significant responsibility and hands-on experience in a collaborative, sophisticated and team-oriented work environment. Candidates must be highly motivated and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team. Availability for overtime and flexibility for travel are required.
Human Resources Manager
Seeking a Human Resources Manager for our Providence Office with at least five (5) years of HR management experience. The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or Information Systems and will support the Director of Human Resources in the management of the HR department and HR functions on a firm wide basis. This includes, but is not limited to, payroll and benefit administration, policy and procedure development, employment law compliance, support staff recruiting and training, compensation analysis, evaluation systems, and personnel management. S/he will support the maintenance of the human resource information system (HRIS), as well as other systems supported by the HR team. This position serves as technical point of contact for assigned functional areas and is responsible for data integrity, testing of system changes, report writing and analysis. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Manage recruitment for all exempt/non-exempt non-legal staff; work with directors and supervisors to screen and interview candidates; conduct reference checking; extend job offers; conduct new employee orientations and exit interviews
- Support and maintain the human resource information system (HRIS). Responsible for the maintenance and quality control of all HRIS data as well as report writing and data analysis
- Implement and annually update the firm performance management system and provide training to users
- Oversee administrative staff in the Providence Office and assist in day to day facility responsibilities
- Administration of compensation and benefit surveys; perform research and prepare compensation worksheets for all business departments
The position offers an excellent opportunity to assume great responsibility and experience in a fast-paced, team–oriented environment. Must have excellent analytical, writing, oral communication and computer skills (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and HRIS systems). Must also be highly motivated and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team. Weekly travel to other office locations in New England.
Digital Marketing Specialist
Seeking an energetic, determined and results-oriented Digital Marketing Specialist to contribute to the firm’s overall success by participating in the formulation and implementation of all marketing related functions and strategies.
Working in a fast-paced environment, the ideal candidate must possess superior project management skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent analytical ability, and ability to manage multiple projects with numerous clients and deadlines.
The Digital Marketing Specialist works directly with the Senior Marketing Manager in developing programs for digital and social channels, external communications and support of business development activities while supporting the Director of Marketing.
- Support a variety of marketing programs from creation and execution, such as sponsorship/community advertisements, client email communications, event communications/support materials, campaign collateral development
- Assist in the preparation of content and oversight of the Firm’s social media platforms, while managing the software tool to distribute content
- Maintain content calendar content calendar for firm publications and thought leadership
- Update web site content including implementation of tracking and analytics
- Liaise with agency teams with day-to-day support and execution of deliverables
- Support PR efforts, including assistance on press releases, contributed articles, content calendar for firm publications and thought leadership
- Seek out collaboration and buy-in from stakeholders to develop effective communications assets
- Prepare effective presentations for internal and external use as needed
- Assist in overall monthly and campaign level reporting of marketing goals
- Bachelor’s degree a must
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in marketing and/or communications
- Exceptional communication skills – strong writing skills a must
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience
- Detail oriented
- Possess the ability to translate complicated ideas into language that is easily understood by others
- Solid project manager with strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and a track record of paying attention to the details
- A team player with exceptional interpersonal skills who can partner with diverse individuals at all levels
- Strong understanding of social media and digital marketing
- Energetic and collaborative personality with self-starter approach to work
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) is required Knowledge of Sprout Social and Photoshop is a plus
Summer Associates & Law Students
Our Summer Associate Program at Hinckley Allen gives participants a realistic sense of the demands, challenges, and rewards of a position within our firm. Participants gain hands-on experience—through varied work assignments—in each of our primary practice areas. Both Associate- and Partner-level mentors guide the program. Additionally, there are plenty of opportunities to get to know our attorneys outside of the office through organized sporting events, dinners, community-focused projects, and more.
Work Assignments: Summer Associates receive diverse and challenging assignments, and work alongside Partners and more Senior Associates. For example, assignments can range from a simple litigation research memorandum to assisting a Partner at a complex real estate closing. We also provide the Summer Associates a chance to get involved with out-of-office experiences, including board meetings, depositions, arbitrations, client meetings, and judicial proceedings. Work is assigned to a Summer Associate based on, among other things, availability and practice areas of interest. Ultimately, the goal is to give each Summer Associate the opportunity to work in as many different areas of practice as possible throughout their summer. Moreover, each office has a designated assignment coordinator who coordinates projects for Summer Associates. In short, our goal is to provide Summer Associates with real work similar in complexity to what they would receive as a first or second year associate.
Practice Group Assignments: Summer Associates are not assigned to a specific department during the Summer Program. Summer Associates can express a preference to receive assignments from particular practice areas. Although we make every effort to accommodate their interests, we encourage Summer Associates to work on substantive projects from a variety of practice areas during the summer. Our goal is to offer intellectually stimulating projects that give Summer Associates an opportunity to demonstrate their writing, analytical, and advocacy skills, while working alongside Partners and Associates who are deeply invested in their success at the firm.
Training: Because of the small size of our summer class, and the firm’s lean approach to staffing, our Summer Associates truly learn by doing, including joining our attorneys for meetings, negotiations, closings, depositions and court appearances. In addition to a wide variety of assignments that provide invaluable “on-the-ground” training, our Summer Associates are provided with numerous educational opportunities throughout the Summer Program. Trainings are focused on such topics as legal writing, skills development, law firm economics, project management and tips for how to succeed as an Associate at Hinckley Allen.
Mentoring: Each Summer Associate is assigned three mentors, typically one Associate and two Partner co-mentors, from a range of practice areas, including the practice area where the Summer Associate has the strongest interest. The mentors assist the Summer Associates in any aspect of the Summer Associate program, as well as familiarize them with the firm’s policies, practices and procedures. In addition, the mentors may provide evaluations and feedback to the Summer Associates on their work product.
Social Events: The Summer Program is structured to give our Summer Associates a balance between work and social gatherings. A variety of social events are planned throughout the summer that provide summer associates with the opportunity to get to know our attorneys away from the office.
The firm is committed to diversity and inclusion. In addition to our general application, Hinckley Allen offers scholarships to diverse second-year and first-year law students. Scholarship recipients become part of the salaried 10-week summer program. The scholarship for a second-year student is $10,000. The scholarship for a first-year student is $5,000.
- Eligibility – Law student at an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, strong record of academics, leadership, and a demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Application– Resume, transcript, writing sample, and a personal statement that reflects life experiences and how you will contribute to the diversity of the firm and the legal profession generally. We accept diversity scholarship applications from second-year law students on a rolling basis. First-year law students can apply no earlier than December 1st of their first semester, until mid-January. You can follow Hinckley Allen on LinkedIn and Twitter or check back to our website for the latest updates.
- Selection Process – Applications will be reviewed and selected by a group of attorneys and management personnel.
Second-year law students are invited to apply to our 2L Diversity Scholarship starting on July 1, 2019. The deadline for applying is August 30, 2019.
Supporting Your Career at Hinckley Allen
Take your career as far as you like with the support of our professional development team. We dedicate significant time and resources to developing and supporting our attorneys with practical, hands-on experience, and mentorship.
Ongoing Communication is Key
Attorneys receive a formal evaluation at least once a year. Where appropriate, the firm may also conduct evaluations more frequently; the scope of the interim evaluations may vary depending on the circumstances. We also strongly encourage informal, real-time feedback at all times, in particular during and after individual assignments throughout the year.
A vital component of the annual evaluation process is the self-evaluation. A self-evaluation serves as an important vehicle to highlight accomplishments, contributions, and outline professional goals for the upcoming year.
The firm is committed to the professional development of its Associates. Accordingly, it offers a wide variety of formal training programs to supplement Associates’ on-the-job experiences. The firm is also qualified to provide continuing legal education (“CLE”) credit and hosts programs throughout the year. Many of the firm’s in-house CLE programs are open to clients. In addition, we offer training programs designed to strengthen our associates’ business acumen on topics such as budgeting, billing, profitability, and legal project management.
External training programs are encouraged as well. The firm maintains a membership with Practicing Law Institute (PLI), which is a leading CLE provider. PLI offers unlimited access to live programs, webinars, and audio briefings on a wide variety of topics. The library issues each associate login credentials to access the PLI website. Attorneys may also attend outside training or CLE programs, bar association activities, and professional conferences.
Mentoring is a fundamental part of your professional development at Hinckley Allen. We offer the resources you need to meet your professional goals and achieve success by providing every attorney a mentor or partner advisor. Our goal is to work with you to develop the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to become a top-notch lawyer. We want to make sure all of our attorneys are integrated and well-oriented to our firm culture and work environment, and we do that by creating an atmosphere that attracts and retains the most talented lawyers. Our mentoring program focuses on training programs inside and outside the firm, hands-on learning, and individualized support and guidance. Whether it’s discussing your career goals or strengthening your working relationships, we are here to provide you the ongoing support critical to your success.
Benefits & Compensation
Hinckley Allen is pleased to provide competitive compensation and benefits packages to our partners, employees, and their families. Designed to support you through the many stages of your life, the benefits program provides you with the resources and support that you need, when you need it.
- Comprehensive group health, dental, and vision plans
- Generous paid time-off policies, including parental leave
- Employee and dependent group life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Retirement savings plans and college savings plans
- Pre-tax plans for medical, dependent care, and transportation
- Cancer, accident, and supplemental short-term disability insurance
- Robust wellness programs and an employee assistance program
- Access to financial advisors for retirement planning, Medicare/Medicaid, and Social Security
- Tuition reimbursement program
“This is a place where people are respected, appreciated, and supported. Helping all our employees be the best they can be is at the heart of everything we do, from mentorship, to our strong work-life balance, and to the community and pro-bono work we support."— David J. Rubin, Managing Partner
"My clients are multinational corporations who entrust me with bet-the-company transactions. As a firm, we are committed to matching their level of trust. I appreciate working with other top-tier colleagues and resources to support our client's business goals."— Joseph A. Kuzneski, Corporate & Business Partner
" I've worked on Wall Street, been in-house counsel, and a general counsel. I joined Hinckley Allen because of the diverse client roster. I feel I can use my varied experience to provide a holistic view of businesses and the issues that really matter."— Stephanie J. Baton, Corporate & Business Partner
Careers at Hinckley Allen | Hear from our Attorneys
For attorneys at all levels, there's an opportunity to grow at Hinckley Allen.
The Hinckley Allen Difference
Hinckley Allen Managing Partner, David J. Rubin, and Deepwater Wind CEO Jeff Grybowski, and others, describe how the firm provides value and delivers results by being adaptive, business-minded, and responsive.