Robin is Co Chair of the firm’s Environmental and Energy Practice Groups with over 28 years of experience in advising clients on regulatory and permitting matters. Robin represents clients in proceedings before administrative agencies in addition to state and federal courts. Robin has handled some of the most complex and significant environmental and energy matters in the region including permitting for the first offshore wind farm in the United States, the largest tort suit for groundwater contamination in Rhode Island, and the redevelopment of many acres of contaminated land for the construction of a national bank’s headquarters. Robin’s experience in transactional and litigation matters, as well as her training as a mediator, provides her clients with unique guidance to solve their issues efficiently and creatively.
Robin serves on Hinckley Allen’s Executive Committee.
- Represented the first offshore wind farm in the United States in a complicated permitting process before the Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council under the Council’s then newly adopted Ocean Special Area Management Plan. Also successfully represented the wind farm before the Rhode Island Superior and Supreme Court in cases challenging the permitting process.
- Won a motion to dismiss under the statute of repose for a Massachusetts contractor improperly accused of transporting hazardous waste at a school site.
- Routinely represents utilities in Rhode Island and Massachusetts before federal and state environmental agencies on permitting and the cleanup of legacy sites including former manufactured gas plant and holder sites.
- Defense of a large construction company in a wetlands enforcement action involving the Army Corps of Engineers, the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and numerous stakeholders on the rehabilitation of a river bed in western Massachusetts.
- Helps construction companies in navigating environmental compliance issues and regularly represents construction companies in federal and state environmental enforcement actions under water, wetlands and remediation laws.
- Successfully represented a large utility company at the trial court and on appeal to the state supreme court in a challenge to the scope of a 26 mile utility easement in central and southern Rhode Island.
- Routinely advises businesses in defending against and in negotiating penalties in enforcement actions brought by federal and state environmental agencies involving releases of oil and hazardous materials, air discharges including asbestos, and water discharges.
- Regularly counsels real property and financial institutions on handling and mitigating environmental risks associated with transactions including with the use of brownfields agreements and environmental insurance.
- Shields v. Deepwater Wind et al., (Rhode Island Supreme) 2015
- Chandler v. Nantucket Electric Company et al., (Mass Superior) 2013
- Ives v. Deepwater Wind et al, (RI Superior) 2013
- Corvello v. New Eng. Gas Co., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 102678 (2008)
- Narragansett Elec. Co. v. Constellation Energy Commodities Group, Inc., 563 F.Supp.2d 325 (2008)
- Charter Int’l Oil Co. v. Travelers Cas. & Sur. Co., 558 F.Supp.2d 209 (2008)
- Bond Opportunity Fund II, LLC v. Heffernan, 340 F.Supp.2d 146 (2004)
- A.T. Cross Co. v. Royal Selangor(s) PTE, Ltd., 217 F.Supp.2d 229 (2002)
- Aldridge v. A.T. Cross Corp., 284 F.3d 72 (2002)
- United States v. Davis, 31 F.Supp.2d 45 (1998)
- URI Cogeneration Partners L.P. v. Board of Governors for Higher Educ., 915 F.Supp. 1267 (1996)
- Nguyen v. Lewis/Boyle, Inc., 899 F.Supp. 58 (1995)
- Grady v. Narragansett Elec. Co., 962 A.2d 34 (2009)
- Graziano v. R.I. State Lottery Comm’n, 810 A.2d 215 (2002)
- Truk Away v. Macera Bros., 643 A.2d 811 (1994)
- Liberty Mut. Ins. Co. v. Black & Decker Corp., 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 659 (2005)
- Bath Iron Works Corp. v. Certain Member Cos. of the Inst. of London Underwriters, 870 F.Supp. 3 (1994)
- In re Napp Technologies, Inc. Litigation, 338 N.J. Super. 176 (2000)
- Hotel Associates LLC v. HMS Associated Ltd. Partnership, 2004 WL 422812, R.I. Super. (2004)
- Hinckley Allen
- Executive Committee Member
- Co-Chair, Environmental Law Group
- Partner (2006-Present)
- Associate (1989-1992)
- Holland & Knight, LLP
- Partner (2001-2006)
- National Chair of Women's Initiative (2004-2006)
- Professional Development and Recruitment Committee (2004-2006)
- McGovern, Noel & Benik (merged into Holland & Knight)
- Partner (1995-2001)
- Associate (1992-1995)
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers of America® (2007-2019)
- Lawyer of the Year (2015-2016, 2018-2019)
- Recognized for Commercial Litigation, Environmental Law and Litigation – Environmental categories
- Rhode Island Monthly, Professional Excellence in Law (2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rating, Recipient
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2010 Top Women in Law Award
- Providence Animal Rescue League, Stanley Mason Award (2009) for efforts made on behalf of animals
- Super Lawyers, Rhode Island (2008-2018)
- Certified Mediator, Mediation Works, 2011
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Jamestown Education Foundation, Board of Directors (2013-Present)
- New England Environmental Business Council, Former Director
- Providence Animal Rescue League, Director (1994-2011), Chair of Board of Directors (2007-2010)
- Rhode Island Chapter of U.S. Green Building Council, Past Director
- Rhode Island State Ethics Commission, Commissioner (1999-2004)
- Rhode Island Society of Environmental Professionals, Former Director
- Roger Williams Family Association, Member
- The Women's Fund of Rhode Island, Board Member (2011-Present)
- American Bar Association; Women in Products Liability Committee
- Federal Bar Association
- New England Business Association, Board Member (formally known as SBANE), Chair, Board of Directors and Executive Committee Member (2016-Present)
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Women's Bar Association
- The Boston Club
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, Member
- Rhode Island
- Panelist on Offshore Wind at 2015 Tulane Law School Energy and Environment Summit
- Presenter at Utility Contractors Association of New England Meeting, September 2012
- Moderator, Ethical Considerations for Using Technology in Your Practice
- Frequent lectures on environmental issues
- Frequent contributor to various publications on environmental issues
News & Insight
Hinckley Allen attorneys Thomas W. Madonna, Jr. and Robin L. Main are contributing authors to MCLE's A Practical Guide to Land Use Law in Rhode Island: An Essential Guidance on Rhode Island Land Use. Read their respective chapters On Signage and Adult U…
Best Lawyers: What interested and led you to go into law as a profession in general and environmental law specifically?Robin L. Main: I enjoy analyzing issues, trying to help resolve problems—and I enjoy arguing—so I went to law school. I went to Tulan…
National Grid USAJuly 21, 2014
The Super Lawyers has selected 38 Hinckley Allen attorneys as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.Super Lawyers, a Thomson…
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, including seven “Lawyers of the Year.” Only one lawyer in each specialty in each region is honored as a “La…
The Super Lawyers has selected 39 Hinckley Allen attorneys as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.Super Lawyers, a Thomson…
Hinckley, Allen & Snyder LLP is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers has recognized partners Noble F. Allen, Christine K. Bush, William S. Fish, Joel Lewin, Robin L. Main, Thomas S. Marrion, Gerald J. Petros, and David A.NOBLE F.
Noble F.Jomarie T.Robert J.James J.Leon C.John J.William W.Christine K.
Hinckley Allen Partner Robin L. Main Named “Lawyer of the Year” in Litigation – Environmental by Best LawyersAugust 17, 2015
Robin L. Main, a partner at Hinckley Allen, was named the Best Lawyers® 2016 Litigation – Environmental “Lawyer of the Year" in Providence, RI.Robin's practice is focused in the areas of commercial litigation and environmental law. She is responsible …
Hinckley Allen Partner Robin L. Main Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Environmental Law by Best LawyersAugust 18, 2014
Robin Main has been named Lawyer of the Year in Environmental Law (Providence, RI) by Best Lawyers® 2015.Robin's practice is focused in the areas of commercial litigation and environmental law. She is responsible for legal counsel and guidance to the…
Hinckley Allen is representing Royal DSM, a global life sciences and material sciences company client, in a $2.6 billion series of transactions that will combine Patheon, Inc. (TSX: PTI) and the DSM Pharmaceutical Products business group into a new company…
Hinckley Allen Helps Deepwater Wind Develop, Finance, and Construct the Country's First Offshore Wind Farm
Deepwater Wind's project faced regulatory, environmental, construction, real estate, tax and business issues throughout the implementation of an ambitious vision. Hinckley Allen's multidisciplinary team of seasoned lawyers helped them clear each hurdle by …