Hinckley Allen Expands Litigation Group with Eight Lateral Hires from Barrett & SingalJanuary 5, 2021
Strategic hires add depth to the Firm’s seasoned and interdisciplinary Litigation group
Hinckley Allen today announced that eight trial lawyers from Barrett & Singal have joined the Firm, including Co-Chairs of Barrett & Singal’s Litigation group, Co-Chairs of its Research Misconduct group, and its General Counsel. All eight new hires will join the Firm’s Litigation group in its Boston office, building on Hinckley Allen’s deep roots in New England.
- Michelle R. Peirce (Partner) served as Co-Chair of Barrett & Singal’s Litigation group. In her white-collar criminal practice, she represents business executives, corporations, and professionals who are under investigation or indictment for white-collar crime. In her civil practice, she represents individuals, businesses, and public entities in complex civil disputes. Michelle has tried numerous jury and bench trials both at Barrett & Singal and while serving as a Special Assistant District Attorney in Middlesex County. She is a past president of the Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts, and currently serves as the president of the Women’s Bar Foundation of Massachusetts.
- Bruce A. Singal (Partner) joined Barrett & Singal in 1997 and established its Litigation group. He served as Co-Chair of the Litigation group and Co-Chair of the Research Misconduct group. He represents executives, corporations, and professionals who are under investigation or indictment for a variety of white-collar crimes. Bruce also handles complex commercial litigation involving major business disputes, including between businesses and their employees, and between family members over family businesses and assets. Bruce is widely regarded as one of the top white-collar crime defense lawyers in the Northeast, having been selected as one of the top 10 lawyers in Massachusetts numerous times. In 2003, he was selected as a Fellow of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. In 2018, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly recognized Bruce as a Lawyer of the Year for his work on a nationally-covered case.
- William F. Sinnott (Partner) brings over 30 years of experience as a municipal, state, and federal government attorney, as a successful private practitioner, and as a teacher and leader in the legal community. He advises and advocates for a diverse range of individuals and organizations including healthcare and pharmaceutical institutions and employees, contractors, universities, and government officers. Bill also served as the Corporation Counsel of the City of Boston from 2006 – 2014, where he was head of the Law Department.
- Lauren Dwyer (Counsel) focuses on complex business litigation and white-collar criminal defense, including defending licensed professionals in board disciplinary proceedings. She has represented corporations, executives, managers, employees, and licensed professionals in civil and criminal matters in both state and federal court. Lauren has also led internal corporate investigations in a variety of sectors including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, construction, and accounting.
- Elizabeth McEvoy (Counsel) served as Co-Chair of Barrett & Singal’s Research Misconduct group. She focuses her practice on assisting businesses and individuals in navigating complex, and often highly-regulated legal matters, both criminal and civil. Her experience includes negotiating pre-litigation resolutions, complex commercial litigation, and representing individuals and entities under government scrutiny or in responding to government subpoenas. She specializes in disputes and potential criminal exposure arising in Massachusetts’ healthcare sector.
- Damien C. Powell (Counsel) represents individuals and businesses in a wide variety of complex civil and white-collar criminal matters before state and federal courts and administrative agencies. A large portion of his practice involves advising and representing health care businesses, including hospitals, physician groups, skilled nursing facilities, substance abuse and mental health providers, drug testing laboratories, adult day health companies, home care agencies, and health insurance plans. He also represents doctors, lawyers, social workers, and students in disciplinary, licensing, and regulatory proceedings.
- Brian Mulcahy (Associate) represents individuals, businesses, and quasi-public entities in complex civil disputes involving breaches of contract and fiduciary duties, alleged employer discrimination and retaliation, claims of negligence and invasion of privacy, partnership disputes, and consumer protection matters.
- Matthew McDonnell (Associate) represents individuals and businesses in complex civil litigation and white-collar criminal matters in state and federal court. Matt previously served as a legal intern at the Massachusetts Securities Division and a compliance intern at the Harvard Management Company.
“At Hinckley Allen, we believe in strategic growth by acquiring elite talent that shares the Firm’s culture and values,” said Jerry Petros, Chair of the Litigation group at Hinckley Allen. “The lawyers joining us from Barrett & Singal are terrific trial lawyers and even better people who will further enhance our strong Litigation team. We look forward to collaborating with Michelle, Bruce, and all of our new colleagues as we continue to provide outstanding and efficient service and counsel to our clients.”
“These highly experienced attorneys represent the qualities that our team values: collaboration, collegiality, and tireless advocacy,” said David J. Rubin, Managing Partner at Hinckley Allen. “We are confident they will enhance our Litigation group’s longstanding reputation for providing value and delivering results for clients through deep expertise and strategic thinking. We’re proud to welcome them to our team.”
“Hinckley Allen’s Litigation group is a seasoned, interdisciplinary team that is proven across industries and disciplines,” said Peirce. “I’m pleased to join this team of nationally ranked attorneys with a deep bench of trial lawyers. I look forward to working with this team and clients to provide sensible and cost-effective strategies for accomplishing their goals.”
“Throughout more than 40 years as a trial lawyer, I have never shied away from a challenge, from high-stakes white-collar cases to complex commercial litigation to internal investigations,” said Singal. “As we begin a new year, I look forward to new challenges here at Hinckley Allen as we continue to build a best-in-class Litigation group and provide our clients with counsel they can trust.”
Hinckley Allen’s Litigation group includes attorneys recognized for their courtroom successes in the Northeast and beyond, across industries and disciplines, including commercial litigation, government enforcement and white-collar defense, intellectual property, labor and employment, securities, product liability and toxic tort, energy, and environmental. To learn more about the Litigation group, please click here.
About Hinckley Allen
Hinckley Allen is a client-driven, forward-thinking law firm with one a common goal: to provide great value and deliver outstanding results for our clients. We collaborate across practices and continuously pursue operational excellence to deliver cost-effective, exceptional service. Structured to serve our clients based on their industries and how they do business, we offer a rare combination of agility, responsiveness, full-service capabilities, and depth of experience.
Recognized as an AmLaw 200 Firm, Hinckley Allen offers pragmatic legal counsel, strategic thinking, and tireless advocacy to a diverse clientele. Our clients include regional, national, and international privately held and public companies and emerging businesses in a wide range of industries. Leading utilities, financial institutions, manufacturing companies, educational institutions, academic medical centers, health care institutions, hospitals, real estate developers, and construction companies depend on us for counsel. We have been a vital force in businesses, government, and our communities since 1906.