Hinckley Allen’s Technology and Emerging Growth Companies Group help clients actualize ideas, transforming their visions into reality. We assist clients every step of the way as they develop tech-based products and services that maximize market opportunities and transform existing paradigms.
Comprehensive Counsel to Startup and Emerging Growth Companies
Hinckley Allen provides direction and support throughout the lifecycle of emerging businesses, from idea development, business formation and intellectual property protection, through financing, commercialization and growth, and ultimate exit. We help clients develop, protect and enforce their IP rights, and obtain, incentivize and retain their other great asset- their people. We represent innovative companies across a range of sectors including software, hardware, digital media, cleantech, medtech, fintech, esports, edtech, insurtech, telecom, digital health, life sciences, manufacturing and cannabis.
Our core team is composed of experienced lawyers from our leading Venture Capital & Private Equity, Technology Transactions & Licensing, Intellectual Property, Privacy & Data Security, Government Enforcement & White Collar Defense, Labor & Employment, Mergers & Acquisitions and Tax Groups. This ensures that well-rounded perspective and necessary expertise are brought to bear to guide emerging businesses through the multitude of issues they face. Always mindful of the financial constraints of emerging companies, we create tailored teams that deliver the right depth of legal experience and industry knowledge to meet our clients’ needs without exceeding their budget. We have the capabilities and expertise of a national firm, but with the agility and responsiveness that can only come from a firm of our size, enabling cost-effective management of your legal needs.
Taking Clients to the Next Level
Our attorneys work with entrepreneurs, innovators and emerging businesses of all stripes as they take their venture to the next level. Whether it be developing strategies to protect and monetize IP, devising channels and approaches to collaborate with other market participants, or helping to properly structure and connect clients with fundraising sources, our team is there to help clients forge the plan and relationships necessary to compete, expand and prosper.
Our experience includes:
- Business formation and structuring
- Patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret protection, monetization, optimization and enforcement
- Technology transfer, co-development and licensing arrangements
- Nondisclosure, non-solicit and non-compete agreements
- Angel, venture capital and private equity investments as well as nontraditional financing arrangements
- Equity compensation programs and other employee benefits
- Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity issues
- Labor and employment issues
- Day-to-day operational issues
- Corporate governance and public company matters
- White collar defense
- Dispute resolution
- M&A and other strategic transactions
- Represented Open Water Power, a start up undersea power technology startup founded by MIT graduate students from “cradle to grave” as its outside general counsel. We represented the company in the early days as it operated on a “shoe string,” to when they obtained governmental R&D funding and then third party investment, and in its eventual sale to L3 Technologies, a major defense contractor.
- Represented portfolio companies of investment firm Momentum Equity Partners, including the sale of Meteorix to IBM and the sale of EdgeRock Technologies to CDI.
- Represented Hard Carry Gaming, an esports and entertainment platform, operating under the name “NRG esports,” as its outside general counsel. We represented the company in its first institutional round of financing and have continued as it: completed subsequent financing rounds; acquired numerous professional esports teams including the San Francisco franchise in the Overwatch League and the Chicago franchise in the new Call of Duty League; acquired an esports marketing agency; and engaged in commercial collaborations with sponsors, influencers, entertainers and other industry participants.