Navigating the complex tax-exempt bond financing process can be an imposing challenge. Our team brings a blend of expertise, experience, and creativity to help you achieve your financing goals in the most cost-effective manner. We identify potential issues early on in the financing process and offer practical solutions. Our clients include all participants in the tax-exempt bond market.
Recognized nationally as leaders. Respected everywhere as advisors.
Our Public Finance attorneys are seasoned veterans who are considered thought leaders in the tax-exempt bond market. We frequently speak and write on topics of interest, including presenting at the National Association of Bond Lawyers’ annual Bond Attorneys’ Workshop and its Tax and Securities Law Institute on topics ranging from tax law compliance (including arbitrage and private activity bond limits) and IRS enforcement, to interest rate swaps and securities and disclosure law issues. The head of our Public Finance practice, Antonio Martini, recently completed his term as President of the National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL). He has been directly involved in virtually every one of NABL’s regulatory and policy projects since 2009.
For clients in government, health care, education, culture and arts, nursing care and senior living, social service agencies, student loan programs, and other related entities, we offer a full spectrum of public finance services. We serve clients as:
- Bond counsel
- Borrower’s counsel
- Underwriter’s counsel
- Commercial Bank counsel
- Issuing Authority counsel
- Bond Purchaser counsel
- Corporate trustee counsel
- Special tax counsel
We advise clients on a variety of public finance matters, including:
- Corporate authorizations
- Fund raising issues
- Tax and securities law
- Initial and continuing disclosure issues
- Real estate and construction issues
- Interest rate swaps
- Offering and other disclosure documents
- Bond purchase agreements
- Loan and covenants agreement
- Letters of credit
- Standby-bond purchase agreements
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute—We have recently served as bond counsel in connection with the issuance and remarketing of more than $325 million of bonds for the benefit of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to finance new capital projects and to reduce its costs of borrowing, helping Dana-Farber to carry on its invaluable research into cancer treatments and cures.
- Dartmouth College—Our firm serves as borrower’s counsel to Dartmouth College on all of its tax- exempt bond offerings and regularly assists the college with tax and securities compliance matters and with corporate governance matters pertaining to its debt-management program.
- State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations—We served as bond counsel to the State of Rhode Island in connection with the issuance of an aggregate of $112,635,000 General Obligation Bonds Consolidated Capital Development Loan of 2016, Series A and Refunding Series C.
- Massachusetts Clean Water Trust—We served in 2016 as bond counsel to the Massachusetts Clean Water Trust in connection with the issuance of its $207,805,000 State Revolving Fund Bonds, Series 19 (Green Bonds) to finance and refinance clean water and drinking water projects throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Rhode Island Health and Educational Building Corporation—Our firm served as bond counsel to the Rhode Island Health and Educational Building Corporation in connection with the issuance of $45,000,000 of bonds on behalf of Brown University in 2015.
- Bank Direct Purchases—Our firm has represented banks throughout New England on numerous bank direct purchases of tax-exempt bonds issued on behalf of major health care and educational institutions.
- Special Tax Counsel—We have broad experience spanning more than 20 years assisting issuers and borrowers to successfully defend IRS audits of bonds, as well as providing support in other administrative proceedings with the IRS, such as its Voluntary Closing Agreement Program (VCAP).
News & Insight
How did you get involved in your practice?I started as a public finance lawyer because I wanted to work with governments. I’ve always been passionate about government because of the positive impact it has on our daily lives and because it is the one in…
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers have recognized Hinckley Allen for the tenth consecutive year as a Best Law Firm. Hinckley Allen has been ranked nationally in five practice areas and regionally in 53 practice areas.Firms included in the 2020 …
SEC Releases Order Granting a Temporary Exemption for Municipal Advisors Soliciting Banks to Place BondsJune 18, 2020
On June 16, 2020, the Securities and Exchange Commission issued an Exemptive Order in Release 34-89074 to temporarily permit registered municipal advisors (MAs) to solicit banks and other financial institutions in connection with the direct placement of ce…
IRS Blesses “Dial-In” TEFRA Hearings and Enhances Bond Self-Purchase Guidance in Response to COVID-19 EmergencyMay 6, 2020
On May 4, 2020, the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service released two guidance pieces designed to address issues currently challenging the public finance markets as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The first release, Revenue Procedure 2…