Ensuring that the acquisition & disposition of real estate assets are handled competently and efficiently is a critical concern for many businesses. Retail chains, REITs, developers, banks/lenders, and organizations in health care, education, and industry need seasoned real estate attorneys who can deliver exceptional service. We handle transactions involving the acquisition, development, disposition, and financing of commercial, retail, industrial, institutional, healthcare, medical, resort, hospitality, and multifamily residential real estate.
Safeguarding your interests. Prepared for a full range of issues.
Our team has experience with the full range of business interests and legal issues that comes with acquiring, owning, operating, and selling real estate assets. Many of our transactions involve multiple properties in several states. We have overseen real estate transactions in 47 states over the past three years alone. We work with you to understand and achieve your goals, while protecting your interests in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
We provide analysis of existing buildings and improvements, as well as intended future development for compliance with: building, zoning, subdivision, environmental, and other laws and regulations. We offer a full suite of services in negotiating and documenting real estate transactions, including:
- Negotiating and drafting letters of intent
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Reviewing and analyzing title and survey
- Solutions to title issues
- Negotiating title insurance policies and endorsements
- Reviewing and analyzing environmental reports
- Managing substantial real estate assets
- Multi-property sale/leasebacks
- Disposition of surplus properties
- Management agreements and leases
- Workout agreements
- Real estate tax abatement
We help clients navigate their way through real estate transactions, including:
- Regulatory compliance and closure
- Risk and liability management
- Forming single and special-purpose entities
- Creating and structuring real-estate joint ventures
- Acquisition, construction, and permanent financing contracts
- Off-site access or utility easements
- Reciprocal easement agreements
- Declarations of covenants and restrictions
- We represented several real estate investment funds in the acquisition, lease up, financing, and disposition of properties throughout the country.
- We represented several publicly traded and private companies in connection with real estate expansion programs, both regionally and nationally.
- We represented the buyer in connection with the acquisition, renovation, and financing of over 3,000 nationally branded hotel rooms in transactions aggregating more than $200,000,000.
- We represented a national developer in the sale and disposition of a portfolio of signature shopping centers located throughout New England.
- We represented the seller/tenant in approximately $1,000,000,000 in sale/ leaseback transactions over the past few years, including a recent 239-property portfolio transaction involving properties in 11 states, and a 160-property portfolio transaction involving properties in 12 states.
- Ongoing representation of Equus Capital Partners Ltd., a private equity fund that manages over 24 million square feet of office, retail, and industrial properties in Massachusetts and nearly 13,000 apartment units in 53 multi-family communities across the country. Hinckley Allen’s representation has included the acquisition, due diligence, financing, recapitalization, redevelopment, land-use permitting, as well as leasing and disposition of office parks, industrial properties and retail properties throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Hinckley Allen recently represented Equus in the sale of the property located at 18 Tremont Street in Boston for $77,500,000. The property consists of an approximately 202,000 square-foot, 12-story mixed-use retail and office property in Boston’s financial district. We prepared and negotiated the purchase and sale agreement and all other documents necessary to effectuate the sale.
- Representation of CrossHarbor Institutional Partners LP, a Boston-based national opportunity fund, in connection with investment opportunities, including the sale of a registered historic property located at 101 North Broad Street Philadelphia, PA to a hotel developer, the sale of one of Atlanta’s largest office towers;, and the acquisition of a high-end housing project in South Carolina.
- Ongoing representation of Equity Office Properties (an affiliate of the Blackstone Group), a real estate asset and investment company which owns approximately 45 million square feet of Class A office buildings throughout the country. Hinckley Allen’s representation includes acquisition, analysis of land-use and title issues, land-use permitting, and leasing and sale of office buildings, office parks and retail properties in Massachusetts.
- Ongoing representation of KeyPoint Partners LLC (KeyPoint), an independent commercial real estate investment and management firm that manages commercial, retail, and residential properties across the country. Hinckley Allen’s representation of KeyPoint has been in connection with the company’s asset and property management, acquisition, redevelopment, and leasing of retail, industrial, and mixed-use residential properties in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island. In one particular transaction in 2015, we represented KeyPoint in connection with the acquisition, leasing, and tenant retention in a retail project and its conversion to other uses for redevelopment and/or sale, including the analysis and modification of governmental approvals necessary to increase the asset value and reduce exposure to existing liabilities, resulting in the successful disposition of the property for our client.
- Ongoing representation of Eastern Real Estate Capital, a privately owned real estate investment company that invests in commercial and retail properties throughout the country. Hinckley Allen’s representation of Eastern includes review and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, leases and ground leases, joint venture agreements and financing documentation, and regulatory and risk assessments.
- Ongoing representation of a New England-based health care system consisting of three hospitals with various real estate transactions throughout New England, ranging from leasing, financing, acquisition and disposition of real property to development and other related matters.