Multi-family & condominium property is a unique and highly regulated subset of the real estate industry. Our expert counsel allows you to anticipate and prepare for critical challenges. We represent developers, lenders, owners, and sellers of multi-family properties and condominiums in the funding, construction, redevelopment, acquisition, disposition, and management. We also represent homeowner and condo associations.
Perfectly at home in complex landscapes and neighborhoods of every type.
Our practice functions as a highly experienced team, well-versed in strategically anticipating issues and outcomes. We assist with reviewing and drafting financing, condominium and homeowner association and leasing documents, as well as property management agreements along with permitting and litigation needs. Our experience and business acumen helps you evaluate investment opportunities and organize business entities to achieve your business goals.
We help tenants, neighbors, and property owners with dispute resolution and avoidance. We also assist with condo/multi-family financing structuring, including traditional lending, Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac Agency lending, historic tax credit investments, HUD-supported financing, TIF, and other government-supported programs. In addition, we have the premier multi-family agency lending practice in New England. Our services include:
- Documentation for condominium associations and sub-associations
- Documentation for mixed-use projects with a residential component
- Purchase and sale of properties for conversion to condominiums
- Financing and refinancing of multi-family and condominium properties
- Ground leasing of multi-family projects
- Corporate formation and investment structuring
- Land use and entitlements
- Environmental review and permitting
- Property management agreements
- Lease forms
- Landlord/tenant issues
- Document enforcement and remedies
We offer multi-family developers, and individual owners assistance with:
- Tax strategies
- Lease-up and stabilization
- Acquisition and dispositions
- Representation of an investment management company in the $36,400,000 acquisition of a 280-unit multi-family development in Tucker, Georgia and in the associated $23,660,000 Fannie Mae financing.
- Representation of Eastern Bank on the financing for the development of the Seven Springs condominium in Burlington MA.
- Representation of Union Labor Life Insurance Company on the financing of Carnegie Tower, a 22-story residential tower in Portsmouth RI.
- Representation of Landworks Development Corporation on numerous residential projects in Connecticut.
- Representation of Toll Brothers on numerous residential projects.
- Representation of the developer of Wampanoag Meadows, a 308-unit multi-family development in East Providence, Rhode Island.
- Representation of Southworth Development in connection with the development of Meredith Bay, a 410-acre master-planned resort community on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire.
- Representation of the lender for the financing for a $200,000,000 mixed-use property located in Chicago, IL.
- Representation of the lender for the financing for a $400,000,000 portfolio of multi-family properties located in Los Angeles, CA and Honolulu, HI.
- Representation of the lender for the financing of a $100,000,000 portfolio of seven senior housing properties, including memory care and assisted living units.
- Representation of the lender for the financing of a $16,000,000 student housing project located in Ruston, LA.
- Representation of the developer of two apartments projects—the Promenade and Sharpe apartments at the Foundry in Providence Rhode Island—with a total of 500 units which involved federal and state tax credits.
- Representation of the developer of Briar Meadows, an over 500-apartment complex in Warwick, Rhode Island.
Hinckley Allen attorneys, Timothy T. Corey and Peter J. Martin, recently obtained a $5.3 million arbitration award after 12 days of hearings on behalf of Stonington Water Street Associates, the developer of a Connecticut condominium complex, against the pr…
News & Insight
In a low interest rate environment and with plenty of undeployed capital, Private Equity firms continue aggressive investments in commercial real estate assets. The real estate market in which these firms invest is facing a variety of challenges and opport…