Charlie is a transactional and regulatory attorney who has focused on the full spectrum of issues facing healthcare providers for over 25 years. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Charlie was a Medicare Part B provider representative for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts and a federal budget policy analyst for the Congressional Research Service of the Library of Congress. Charlie’s experience in the healthcare industry as both outside and in-house counsel and prior experience provides him with a unique and practical perspective on the evolving issues facing clients. Charlie has represented and counseled clients ranging from publicly traded companies to hospitals, nursing homes, physicians and other providers in a variety of complex transactions such as hospital affiliations and disaffiliations, mergers, reorganizations, acquisitions and similar matters involving related regulatory, reimbursement, financing, compliance and corporate governance issues. He also focuses on a variety of specialized health care areas, including certificate of need (CON), Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and coverage issues, third party and governmental audits and investigations, Stark and fraud and abuse analysis, medical records and information technology issues, and compliance program and board governance guidance. Recent representative matters include general counsel representation of 400+ physician PHO with particular focus on Massachusetts Health Policy Commission and Federal regulatory review of proposed affiliation of 300-bed community hospital member with large academic health system and representation of teaching hospital CIO for payer contracting including the development and negotiation of bundled episode of care risk contracts for total hip and total knee replacement services.
- Representation of teaching hospital system in affiliation with Catholic community hospital and formation of non‑profit parent holding company. Successfully negotiated with Federal Trade Commission for Informal Interpretation Letter to confirm that transaction satisfied exception under HSR Premerger Filing procedures.
- Assistant General Counsel at $3B wholly-owned dialysis and health care subsidiary of W.R. Grace and primary in‑house counsel for subsequent spin‑off and sale to international medical products company.
- Representation as deal counsel in affiliation of nursing home system and adult day care system.
- Representation of a home and hospice care provider in a disaffiliation from a large health care system and conversion to a freestanding entity, including negotiation of deal terms, representation before the Attorney General’s office on the proposed use of non‑profit foundation assets and representation assets and representation before the Department of Health for regulatory approval and transfer of ownership licenses.
- Representation of Seller in $66 million sale of four assisted living facilities in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
- Local counsel to regional nursing home provider in $64 million refinancing and subsequent $45 million participation loan.
- Representation of multi-state nursing home company in the acquisition of four nursing homes out of receivership, regulatory approval process and $25 million acquisition loan.
- Representation of nursing home parent company in acquisition of distressed nursing facility and related HUD and lender approval of assignment and transfer of HUD backed loan.
- Representation of a 400+ Physician Hospital Organization including advice to Board and Management relating to state and Federal regulatory reviews of proposed affiliation of 300‑bed community hospital member with large academic health system.
- Representation of teaching hospital Clinical Integration Organization for payor contracting including development and negotiation of bundled episode of care risk contracts with third party payors for total hip and total knee replacement services.
- Representation of Sellers and Purchasers of Physician Practices.
- Representation of hospital bone marrow transplant (BMT) program in the successful opposition to CON application of competing hospital system.
- Hinckley Allen
- Partner (2014-Present)
- Associate (1990-1994)
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Partner (2011-2014)
- Normand Law, Ltd.
- Founding Partner (2004-2011)
- Brown Rudnick
- Partner (1998-2004)
- Associate (1996-1997)
- Fresenius Medical Care
- Assistant General Counsel (1994-1996)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America® (2016-2019), "Lawyer of the Year" (2019) Recognized for Health Care Law
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- AARP Rhode Island, Executive Advisory Committee
- American Red Cross, Rhode Island Chapter, Past Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Nurse Practitioner Associates for Continuing Education (NPACE), Board of Directors
- Rhode Island Quality Institute's Policy and Legal Committee for Development of Health Information Exchange
- Rotary Club of Jamestown, Rhode Island
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Medical Group Management Association (MGMA), National and Rhode Island/ Massachusetts Chapters
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts, 1992
- Rhode Island, 1990
News & Insight
President-elect Donald J. Trump and congressional leaders have stated they will attempt to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, more commonly known as "Obamacare." While the future of Obamacare is unclear, our health care system will continue to und…
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, including seven “Lawyers of the Year.” Only one lawyer in each specialty in each region is honored as a “La…
Noble F.Jomarie T.Robert J.James J.Leon C.John J.William W.Christine K.
This session brings together representatives of some of the key agencies and departments who are on the front lines of Chapter 224 implementation. Panelists, including our partner Charles Normand, will discuss recently issued regulations, guidelines, and p…