Laura Angelini is a Partner in the Firm’s Government Enforcement & White Collar Defense and Litigation practice groups. Laura represents individuals and corporate clients in government investigations spanning a broad range of industries, including the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, construction and public procurement, as well as securities and financial services.
For over a decade, Laura has counseled clients in connection with investigations and prosecutions involving alleged False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback violations relating to off-label promotion, up-coding, Medicare supervision requirements, lack of medical necessity, HIPAA violations, drug diversion schemes, improper gifts, gratuities and Honoria and other healthcare issues. Her clients have included executives and other professionals of pharmaceutical manufacturers, pharmaceutical distributors, medical device manufacturers, academic medical centers, behavioral health care organizations, skilled nursing facilities and physician practice groups. Laura also has extensive experience representing clients in investigations involving the federal mail and wire fraud statutes, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
Laura has tried numerous cases in federal and state court, has conducted dozens of internal investigations and provides compliance training and advice to clients across various industries. Laura also routinely represents clients before state and federal grand juries and other investigative bodies and assists clients in responding to subpoenas, civil investigative demands (CIDs) and other inquiries from federal and state prosecutors.
On the civil side, Laura litigates complex commercial disputes involving theft of trade secrets, civil RICO, commercial contracts, business torts, franchise law and gender-discrimination.
- Lead counsel to non-profit patient assistance foundation in connection with two federal investigations under the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute and the Internal Revenue Code.
- Trial counsel to Boston-area land owner indicted on federal wire fraud and conspiracy charges in connection with $75 Million real estate transaction with Wynn Resorts Limited. Obtained acquittal on all charges following multi-week jury trial in federal court.
- Trial counsel to nurse practitioner charged with prescribing opioids in violation of federal drug laws. Obtained acquittal on all charges following multi-week jury trial in federal court.
- Partner (2012-Present)
- Associate (2003-2011)
- Summer Associate (2002)
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers
- Massachusetts (2014-2018)
- Rising Stars (2008-2009, 2011-2012)
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, Executive Leadership Committee for Lawyers Have Heart 5K Fundraiser
- Boston Bar Association, Annual Meeting Steering Committee (2017)
- USA 500 Clubs
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
October 18, 2018
The Super Lawyers has selected 38 Hinckley Allen attorneys as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. Each year,
October 18, 2017
The Super Lawyers has selected 39 Hinckley Allen attorneys as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. Each year,
February 1, 2019
Laura B. Angelini provides her insights in a recent article about a recent case regarding the False Claims…
July 2, 2018
This article originally appeared on STAT on July 2, 2018. The term “HIPAA violation” can…
June 25, 2019
Anne M. Murphy and Laura B. Angelini are participating at this year's American Health Lawyers Association…
October 1, 2018
Laura B. Angelini will speak on a panel about Patient Assistance Programs, and the scrutiny they're under…