Wendy Venoit is a Partner in the Construction & Public Contracts Group of Hinckley Allen. Her practice focuses on the litigation and arbitration of domestic and international construction disputes, including litigation in state and federal forums, and mediation and arbitration before the AAA, JAMS, LCIA, ICDR and ICC. She primarily represents EPC contractors, general contractors and construction managers, but has also represented owners. She is an experienced trial attorney, having handled dozens of construction disputes, some involving claims in excess of $1 billion. Wendy also has extensive experience prosecuting and defending complex insurance disputes arising out of construction projects. She also serves as an arbitrator and is a member of the panel of neutrals of the AAA (Construction), ICDR, CPR (Construction, Insurance Policy Holder Coverage, and Boston at Large ADR Panels), LCIA, and ICC and is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Prior to joining Hinckley Allen, Wendy was the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary for Suffolk Construction Company, Inc. In that role, she provided legal advice to the Executive Committee, corporate departments and regional management; oversaw the negotiation of the company’s largest construction management agreements; proactively worked with management to identify risk on construction projects and implement risk mitigation plans; managed and worked with outside counsel on litigation matters, and, generally, handled all legal matters for the corporation.
- Project Counsel and Arbitration Advocate to EPC Contractor with respect to claims arising out of a 650 MW Power Project in the Northeastern U.S. Project involves upstream claims to the Owner, as well as the defense and prosecution of downstream claims with various subcontractors. (ICDR Arbitrations in Boston and New York).
- Counsel to JV in the negotiation of the Design Build Contract for a $1.3 billion public infrastructure project in the Northeastern U.S.
- Counsel to Australian Telecommunications Contractor regarding disputes with a public authority.
- Draft suite of services contracts for a large developer / property manager in the Northeastern U.S.
- Counsel and Advocate to Design-Build Contractor for preparation and prosecution of claims against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the defense of subcontractor claims, arising out of the construction of a decentralized boiler plant at an existing VA Hospital Facility (U.S. Court of Federal Claims).
- Arbitration and Litigation Advocate for Design-Build Contractor in defense and prosecution of claims against various subcontractors arising out of the construction of Army Reserve Facility in Puerto Rico. (AAA Arbitrations in Connecticut and Florida, and companion litigation proceedings in Puerto Rico).
- Project Counsel and Arbitration Advocate to EPC Contractor as project counsel and then as the advocate in the prosecution of claims involving construction of a 550 MW offshore wind farm in the UK. Settled after ten weeks of hearings (LCIA Arbitration, London).
- Arbitration Advocate for EPC Contractor in the prosecution and defense of claims arising from the construction of a mercury removal system in connection with an existing coal-fired power plant. Settled prior to commencement of hearings (Ad Hoc Arbitration, Connecticut).
- Arbitration Advocate for EPC Contractor in the prosecution of wrongful termination and change order claims arising out of the design, procurement and construction of a power recovery project in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Obtained award in favor of Contractor after five weeks of hearings (ICDR Arbitration, “baseball arbitration” format, New York, NY and Houston, TX).
- Arbitration Advocate to large Ivy League University in the defense and prosecution of claims relating to the renovation of a historic residential college (AAA Arbitration, Connecticut).
- Project Counsel to utility regarding claims and disputes arising from the construction of an LNG plant; all claims resolved with satisfaction without need for litigation or arbitration.
- Arbitration Advocate to Utility in defense and prosecution of claims arising out of the refurbishment and upgrade of a hydroelectric power facility in Massachusetts. Favorable settlement achieved after four hearings (AAA Arbitration, Connecticut).
- Arbitration and Litigation Counsel to curtainwall contractor in prosecution of insurance coverage claims against corporate and OCIP professional liability carriers (AAA Arbitration, New York and Litigation, U.S. District Court, New Jersey).
- Project Counsel and Arbitration Advocate for international EPC Contractor in the prosecution of $1 billion in claims arising from the construction of an oil upgrader facility in Venezuela. Favorable settlement achieved after five hearings (ICC Arbitration, New York, NY).
- Litigation Advocate for EPC Power Contractor in the prosecution and defense of breach of contract, wrongful termination, CCIP and lost productivity/interference claims arising out of a power project in Pennsylvania. Favorable settlement achieved prior to trial (Litigation, U.S. District Court, EDPA).
- Arbitration Advocate for EPC Contractor in prosecution of breach of contract claims arising from the relocation and upgrade of multiple chemical facilities in the Southeast United States. Obtained award in favor of Contractor after one week of hearings. (JAMS Arbitration, Boston, MA).
- Arbitration Advocate for international EPCM Contractor in a $180 million ICC Arbitration involving professional liability and delay/disruption claims arising from the construction of an oil terminal in Lithuania. After five hearings, achieve complete defense victory and recovered attorney’s fees on behalf of the Contractor (ICC Arbitration, London, England).
- Counsel for contractor in defending professional liability and liquidated damages claims, and prosecution of insurance coverage claims, arising out of HRSG collapse on a power project in the Northeast United States. (Litigation, Connecticut State Court).
- Counsel for contractor in defense of breach of contract claims initiated by subcontractor arising from a Federal Prison Project in Brooklyn, New York (Litigation, United States District Court, EDNY).
- Counsel to EPC Contractor in the prosecution of indemnity and force majeure claims against the owner of an LNG terminal in Texas. Settled prior to commencement of hearings (AAA Arbitration, Texas).
- Litigation Advocate for Canadian contractor in prosecution of breach of contract and delay/disruption claims arising from the construction of a power plan in China. Favorable settlement achieved prior to trail (Litigation, U.S. District Court, New Jersey).
- Drafted and argued commercial and tort appeals to the New York Appellate Divisions, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the Connecticut Appellate Courts.
- Hinckley Allen
- Partner (2016-Present)
- Suffolk Construction Company, Inc.
- Vice President & General Counsel
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers of America® (2019) Recognized for Construction Law and Litigation-Construction
- International Who's Who of Construction Law (2013-2014, 2016)
- MS Society, Connecticut Chapter, "Corporate Achiever" Award (2008)
- Hartford Business Journal Who's Who of Construction Law, "40 under Forty" (2007)
- Connecticut Law Tribune New Leaders of the Law Award for "Development of the Law" (2005)
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Preeminent Rated
- American Arbitration Association (AAA), Co-Chair of the National Dispute Resolution Committee (2018-Present), Board Council; Member of the Board of Directors; Panel of Construction Neutrals
- ABA Forum on Construction Law: Chair (2017-2018); Chair of the Forum (2016-2017); Member of the Governing Committee (2011-2015), Chair of the Membership Committee (2013-2016), Past Chair of Division 8 (International Construction), GC Liaison to 2014 Annual Meeting (New Orleans, LA), Program Co-Chair of 2009 Midwinter Meeting (Bonita Springs, FL)
- American College of Construction Lawyers (ACCL), Fellow
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member
- Connecticut Lawyers Collaborative on Diversity, Former Treasurer and Board of Directors Member
- CPR: International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, Panel of Distinguished Neutrals - Insurance Policy Holder Coverage Panel, Construction Panel and Boston at Large ADR Panel (Commercial)
- International Bar Association (IBA), International Construction Projects Group
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution, Neutral and International Advisory Committee Member
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Professional Women in Construction, Connecticut Chapter: Founder, Past President, Past Treasurer, and Past Secretary
- Women in Construction, Board Member
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Second and Third Circuits
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court of Connecticut, New Jersey, Central District of Illinois, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Eastern District of New York, Northern District of New York, and Southern District of New York
News & Insight
What is the ABA Forum on Construction Law, and what does it offer?The American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law is the largest organization of construction lawyers in the world, boasting more than 6,000 members worldwide, and has been the go-to le…
Proof and Challenges - Going to a 'Gun Fight' with more than a 'Knife'July 26, 2016
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, including seven “Lawyers of the Year.” Only one lawyer in each specialty in each region is honored as a “La…
Wendy's practice focuses on the litigation and arbitration of domestic and international construction disputes, including state and federal forums. She primarily represents EPC contractors, general contractors and construction managers, but has also repres…
Hinckley Allen’s Construction & Public Contracts Gains Strength with the Addition of New Partner Wendy Kennedy VenoitSeptember 20, 2016
Hinckley Allen is pleased to welcome Wendy K. Venoit as a Partner into our Construction & Public Contracts practice group. Wendy joins our Boston office after having served as the Vice President & General Counsel of Suffolk Construction Company, In…
Two of Hinckley Allen’s Partners are participating at this year’s annual Construction SuperConference. Both Wendy Venoit and Ronald Ciotti will be speaking in back-to-back panels about current trends in the construction industry.Prefabricated and modul…
Hinckley Allen Partner Ronald Ciotti is speaking at the ABA Forum on Construction Law's Annual Meeting. Ron will provide his expertise on how to "Leverage New Standard Contracts to Keep Your Clients' Interests Ahead of the Curve." This ABA workshop will …
Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit will be speaking about "Job Site Emails, Critical Path Updates, Change Orders...How to Effectively Manage Documents, Evidence and Electronic Discovery in Construction Arbitration." Construction Projects and Disputes a…
Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit will be attending the American College of Construction Lawyers (ACCL) Annual Meeting. More information to be available on this event. Please check back in for more details.The ACCL is an international organizatio…
As part of her role as Chair of The ABA Forum on Construction Law, Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit is attending the Forum Trial Academy held February 7–10, 2018 in Dallas, TX. This three-day intensive trial skills training program will use two dif…
As part of her leadership role, Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit will attend the American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Construction Law's 2018 Midwinter Meeting. The theme of the meeting is "Subcontractors, Subconsultants, Suppliers - Oh My!...We A…
Two of Hinckley Allen's Partners are participating at this year's annual Construction SuperConference. Both Wendy Venoit and Ronald Ciotti will be speaking in back-to-back panels about current trends in the construction industry.When dealing with cases tha…
As Chair of the ABA Forum on Construction Law, Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit attended the Fall meeting in 2017. The Fall Meeting gathered owners, designers, contractors, subcontractors, attorneys and other Construction professionals to dissect the…
Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit discussed "Strengthening Diversity & Inclusion in the Sections" at the ABA SOC Fall Leadership Meeting.
Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit is speaking at the 2017 American Arbitration Association (AAA) Construction Conference - "Navigating the Unique Aspects of Construction Arbitration." Wendy and her colleagues will discuss "How to Effectively Deal with…
Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit discussed "How to Effectively Deal with the 300 Change Order Dispute - Who Controls the Process?" at the AAA Construction Conference.
Hinckley Allen Partner Wendy K. Venoit discussed "The In-House Counsel Perspective: What is the Client Looking for from Outside Counsel" at the Boston Bar Association – Construction Law Committee.
Hinckley Allen's Wendy K. Venoit is speaking at the 31st Construction SuperConference on December 6th. Her panel, "Talking about Sex --Are Opportunities and Challenges for Women as Construction Lawyers and Consultants Changing?" will be one of many educati…
Partner Wendy K. Venoit discussed "Buildling Your Brand" at the 2015 Women in Construction Conference.