Nancy has extensive experience representing state and federally chartered banks, thrifts, and credit unions, as well as mortgage companies, mortgage brokers, and other non-bank financial institutions. She counsels clients broadly on operational and business issues, including matters relating to the design, implementation, and maintenance of retail banking products (including online and mobile banking programs); general regulatory compliance; marketing programs; prepaid products; payment systems; privacy policies and information security policies; dealings with supervisory agencies; cash management systems; and vendor agreements.
Nancy also represents domestic and foreign corporate clients in complex business arrangements, typically involving the development, licensing, marketing, and distribution of technology products.
Banking & Financial Services
- Represented national distributor of prepaid cards in landmark federal preemption case and in distribution and branding of various prepaid cards.
- Negotiated joint venture agreements for development of affinity marketing programs for credit cards, insurance, rewards programs, and other identifiable groups.
- Created a national consumer finance program for a manufacturer of recreational vehicles and other consumer products, including developing documents for use in 50 states and managing the licensing process.
- Designed streamlined cash management documentation, later adopted widely throughout the industry.
- Represented state-chartered bank in FDIC investigation of alleged age discrimination in underwriting practices.
- Developed online banking documentation and procedures for various financial institutions.
- Developed mobile banking documentation and procedures for various financial institutions.
- Negotiated agreements for bill payment, foreign exchange, and other funds transfer services by and among banks, their correspondents, and their customers.
- Negotiated credit card and loan correspondent relationships.
- Represented various financial service providers in licensing, examination, and other proceedings with the Massachusetts Division of Banks.
Privacy & Data Security
- Developed Written Information Security Programs (WISPs) for a variety of business entities to comply with the requirements of Massachusetts General Laws ch. 93H and related Attorney General regulations.
- Assisted financial institutions with development and implementation of privacy policies.
- Represented business entities in responding to breach of data security, including developing strategies for identifying affected individuals and drafting communications with government officials and affected individuals.
Corporate & Technology
- Negotiated electronic distribution and digital publishing agreements, including digital rights management strategy, on behalf of audio book publisher.
- Negotiated agreements on behalf of European developer of satellite radio service for design and manufacture of radio units; microchip development; conditional access system; vehicle installation; and other matters.
- Negotiated design, development, and supply agreements with Dell Computers, Cisco Systems, IBM, Motorola, and others on behalf of hardware manufacturer.
- Negotiated limited and enterprise licenses with Ford Motor Company, Federal Express, RPS, and others on behalf of software developer.
- Designed standard form licensing, OEM, and distribution agreements for software developers in telecommunications, airline, manufacturing, and other industries.
- Partner (2011-Present)
- Co-Chair, Banking & Financial Institutions Law Group
- Chair, Privacy & Data Security Law Group
Brown Rudnick LLP
- Partner (1987-2011)
- Associate (1980-1987)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers of America® (2010-2019) Recognized for Banking & Finance Law and Financial Services Regulation Law
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2004, 2013-2017)
- Boston Business Journal as a “Leader in Diversity” (2010)
- Massachusetts Lawyer's Weekly, "Woman of Justice" (2009) in partnership with the Women's Bar Association and the Massachusetts Association of Women Lawyers
- Women's Business Boston, "Top Ten Lawyer" (2008)
- American College of Consumer Financial Services, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rating, Recipient
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Engaging Schools, Director
- Facing History and Ourselves National Foundation, Inc., Leadership Council
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Women's Network Advisory Board, Member
- Simmons School of Management Women's Initiative Forum, Member
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Consumer Financial Services and Intellectual Property Subcommittees, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Banking & Financial Services Committee, Member (Co-Chair, 2005-2009)
- Massachusetts Bankers Association, Legal and Regulatory Compliance Committee
- Eastern Massachusetts Compliance Network, Member
- Massachusetts, 1980
August 15, 2018
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition…
October 18, 2017
The Super Lawyers has selected 39 Hinckley Allen attorneys as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. Each year,
April 10, 2018
If you answered "yes" to any category, read this now: If your business collects “personal data”
June 28, 2017
As originally seen in Law Technology Today “Data held hostage.” Years – even months – ago,