Our Trademarks & Copyrights practice consists of intellectual property attorneys and paralegals with decades of experience in domestic and international trademark and copyright law. We are dedicated to all types of trademark and copyright matters, as well as trade dress, domain name, internet, and unfair competition issues. Our experience includes working with startups and small companies, as well as large and global corporations.
With the expanding use of e-commerce channels and evolving digital and social media marketing and advertising, the protection of trademarks, copyrights, and domain names is more important than ever. A distinctive brand name or trademark, along with creative advertising materials, helps to effectively promote and establish a company’s public identity and reputation. This builds significant brand equity and goodwill among consumers, and readily distinguishes the company from its competitors.
We invest time in understanding our clients’ businesses and technologies, as well as their goals and challenges. In this way, we are able to partner with our clients and formulate targeted and cost-effective domestic and international brand name and trademark protection and enforcement strategies that are best suited to each client. Our attorneys help our clients be proactive about IP matters, make informed business decisions, and get ahead of potential issues and obstacles.
An IP boutique within a full service law firm.
Our practice group works as an agile, focused team, operating much like an IP boutique with the benefit of a full-service law firm’s broad expertise and deep resources. We work closely with our Hinckley Allen colleagues across numerous practice areas, collaborating on a wide variety of matters, such as corporate transactions involving IP assets, mergers and acquisitions, technology transfers, licensing, commercial agreements, tax issues, and IP portfolio assessments and due diligence.
We have significant experience representing clients with a wide range of technologies in a wide range of industries, including software, electronics, green technologies, consumer products, food and beverage, retail, hospitality, health care, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, surgical instruments, banking and financial services, insurance, e-commerce, computer hardware, telecommunications, publishing, advertising, multimedia, sports, e-sports, and entertainment.
Our Trademarks & Copyrights practice focuses on the following areas:
- Development and management of domestic and international trademark portfolios
- Domestic and international trademark registrations
- Domestic and international trademark search and clearance
- Counsel on selection and proper use of trademarks
- Trademark infringement and enforcement issues
- Representation before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Anti-counterfeiting strategies and trademark recording with U.S. Customs Service
- Trademark ownership transfers, assignments, and security interests—U.S. and global
- Trade dress registration
- Trade dress infringement and enforcement issues
- Copyright registration for software programs
- Copyright registration for creative works, informal art, and other protectable materials
- Copyright infringement of registered and common law copyrights
- Resolution of copyright disputes
- Work-for-hire and joint authorship agreements and issues
- Fair use of copyright protected materials
- Copyright licensing
- International copyright counseling
- Copyright-ownership transfers, assignments, and security interests—U.S. and global
Domain Names & Online Brand Protection
- Online trademark and copyright enforcement efforts across various platforms, such as Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and AliExpress
- Domain name registrations and acquisitions as well as domain portfolio management
- Uniform Domain Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings and retrieval of domains
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other takedown procedures
- Cybersquatting, cyberstalking, rights of publicity, and misappropriation of identity
Advertising & Promotions
- Compliant advertising for traditional and digital channels
- Digital/social media advertising and use of influencers and guidelines
- Right of publicity, right of privacy, and consent and release agreements
- Sweepstakes and contests
Corporate Transactions and IP-Related Matters – See Intellectual Property
Licensing/Software/Technology Agreements – See Intellectual Property
Rock Row is an experiential mixed-use development thoughtfully designed to fuse the newest building innovations and open green-spaces with its iconic natural features. Through careful planning, Rock Row combines healthy urban living, destination retail, mo…
News & Insight
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers have recognized Hinckley Allen for the eleventh consecutive year as a Best Law Firm. Hinckley Allen has been ranked nationally in five practice areas and regionally in 58 practice areas.Firms included in the …
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers have recognized Hinckley Allen for the tenth consecutive year as a Best Law Firm. Hinckley Allen has been ranked nationally in five practice areas and regionally in 53 practice areas.Firms included in the 2020 …
A Small Claims Court for Copyright Disputes? CASE Act Creates New Alternative Process for Smaller Copyright ClaimsMarch 18, 2021
A new law known as the Copyright Alternative in Small-Claims Enforcement (CASE) Act creates an entirely new tribunal within the U.S. Copyright Office for resolving smaller copyright disputes. Before the CASE Act, aggrieved copyright owners generally nee…
Selecting a brand name for a company or its products or services is often one of the most challenging and complex initiatives that a company can undertake. At the heart of the issue is the desire to create a name that is distinctive and “ownable,” whil…