John R. Pariseault
John counsels clients in the acquisition, development, sale, leasing and financing of commercial real estate throughout the Northeast. A significant portion of John’s practice involves negotiating ground leases, retail leases and office leases, as well as the formation, negotiation, structuring and governance of sophisticated real estate joint ventures. John also regularly advises developers on the requirements for satisfying the complex land use regulations applicable to large-scale commercial projects.
- Lead counsel for major Boston-area mixed use re-development project. This project transforms an existing enclosed mall to New England’s premier mixed-use retail, office, residential and hotel project, including JV formation, creation of complex condominium structure and retail leasing with cutting edge retailers. Read more about the Arsenal Yards case study here.
Retail Leasing Counsel for Nine Property Retail Power Center Portfolio
- Lead all leasing efforts with the top national and regional retailer for a portfolio of nine power and lifestyle centers situated in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
New York Ground-Up Development
- Represent client in structuring a joint venture for the development of an open-air shopping center that will, once completed, comprise over 650,000 square fee of retail.
Pittsburgh Area Power Center
- Provide complete retail leasing services for 475,000 square foot open-air regional shopping center.
Iconic Boston Area Regional Mall
- Represent client in a multi-party joint venture for the development of a regional mall, including drafting the LLC Agreement for the joint venture partner as well as the manager entity and the offering documents for the private offering.
Mixed Use Center in Southern Massachusetts
- Represent the developer in connection with construction financing, construction, subdivision (including creating the legal foundation for an integrated center covering separate real estate parcels owned by distinct entities), and leasing (including in-line retail and stand-alone ground leases) for a mixed use development.
Permitting of a new national pharmacy store
- Hinckley Allen represented a national pharmacy chain in the permitting of a new store in Woonsocket, RI that was met with significant neighborhood opposition. Our work includes successful representation of our client before the City Council, Zoning Board of Review and Planning Board. We also successfully defended project approvals against numerous appeals brought by neighbors.
- Hinckley Allen
- Chair, Retail
- Partner (2015-Present)
- Associate (2006-2015)
- Summer Associate (2004)
- Rhode Island Supreme Court Justice Francis X. Flaherty
- Law Clerk (2005-2006)
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, New England, Rising Star (2012-2015)
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Moses Brown School Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Save The Bay, Member and Annual Swim Participant
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
International Council of Shopping Centers
- National Next Generation Leadership Board
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts, 2005
- Rhode Island, 2005
News & Insight
Hinckley Allen is proud to announce that Victoria P. Lane and John R. Pariseault have been elected partners of the firm, effective January 1, 2015.â€śVickie and John have made tremendous contributions to their clients, their practice groups, and the firm,â…
Developers who gain control of a property (whether through an option agreement, purchase and sale agreement, or ground lease) and who intend to develop or significantly re-develop the property are often subject to a time-limited permitting period and/or du…
If one leafs through any real estate trade journal or visits local retailers, it becomes apparent that traditional retail is changing. Developers and retailers share the desire to create projects that attract people on many levels â€“ to relax in interesti…
Hinckley Allen published A Practical Guide to the Qualified Opportunity Zone Program, which details a promising new program contained in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that provides significant tax incentives for real estate investors in Qualified Opportun…
Among the many changes and incentives contained in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, one of the most promising is the Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) program. This program was created to encourage investment in distressed areas of the country. It aims to…
In the midst of the so-called "retail R.E. apocalypse," what is the role of the retail real estate attorney?July 28, 2017
Retailers today are both redefining the role of physical stores as well as changing how they interact with customers. This article focuses on how real estate attorneys who understand the changing nature of retail development and the different tools that ar…
*Watertown, MAÂ - Just west of downtown Boston, along the Charles River, the city's next great neighborhood is about to become an exciting new reality. In the East End of Watertown, where Cambridge meets Boston, the 20-acre property encompassing the outdat…
How I've Grown Since My First Summer at Hinckley Allen: An Alum's Reflection on the Summer Associate ProgramMay 30, 2017
Being a Summer Associate is an opportunity to learn, explore and ask questions about career development.Â What is it like to practice law?Â In what areas of the law am I interested?Â Will I enjoy working at a firm?Â Will that new suit fit comfortably?A…
With the holiday season in full swing, retailers are enjoying the rush of last-minute shoppers. At the same time, however, the end of the year provides shopping center owners and landlords with a time to review their leases to ensure they are protected fro…
Attention Shopping Center Owners: Have You Adequately Protected Existing Leases from Exclusives Granted to Subsequent Tenants?December 4, 2015
An â€śexclusive useâ€ť provision is a clause in a lease that prohibits the landlord from leasing other space in its shopping center for a use that competes with the permitted use of a specific tenant. Most sophisticated tenants who lease space within large…
Reconsidering Percentage Rent In An Omnichannel WorldMarch 17, 2015
Although views on the future of retail change daily, most observers acknowledge that success in retail requires meaningful engagement with oneâ€™s customers through many channels, including on-line, on mobile devices, and within physical stores. This â€śom…
Hinckley Allen provided strategic counsel to Boylston Properties and The Wilder Companies, who recently secured the equity funding and construction loan necessary to begin construction of New Englandâ€™s premier urban mixed-use redevelopment project. Arsen…
Represent the developer in connection with construction financing, construction, subdivision (including creating the legal foundation for an integrated center covering separate real estate parcels owned by distinct entities), and leasing (including in-line…
Represent client in a multi-party joint venture for the development of a regional mall, including drafting the LLC Agreement for the joint venture partner as well as the manager entity and the offering documents for the private offering.
Hinckley Allen represented a national pharmacy chain in the permitting of a new store in Woonsocket, RI that was met with significant neighborhood opposition. Our work includes successful representation of our client before the City Council, Zoning Board o…
John R. Pariseault is leading a live webinar for real estate professionals wanting to discover how to overcome the legal challenges of mixed-use developments. Topics will include: structuring, negotiating and drafting mixed-use documents, association gover…
We hope to see you at the HartfordÂ International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)Â Retail Connection. The New England Retail Connection is the one-stop for education, networking and deal making designed for retail real estate professionals seeking to de…
The one-stop for education, networking and deal making. These one- to two-day regional meetings provide an opportunity for attendees to gain information about current industry issues, meet and interact with colleagues doing business in the same region and …