John counsels clients in the acquisition, development, sale, leasing and financing of commercial real estate throughout the Northeast. A significant portion of John’s practice involves negotiating ground leases, retail leases and office leases, as well as the formation, negotiation, structuring and governance of sophisticated real estate joint ventures. John also regularly advises developers on the requirements for satisfying the complex land use regulations applicable to large-scale commercial projects.
- Lead counsel for major Boston-area mixed use re-development project. This project transforms an existing enclosed mall to New England’s premier mixed-use retail, office, residential and hotel project, including JV formation, creation of complex condominium structure and retail leasing with cutting edge retailers. Read more about the Arsenal Yards case study here.
Retail Leasing Counsel for Nine Property Retail Power Center Portfolio
- Lead all leasing efforts with the top national and regional retailer for a portfolio of nine power and lifestyle centers situated in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
New York Ground-Up Development
- Represent client in structuring a joint venture for the development of an open-air shopping center that will, once completed, comprise over 650,000 square fee of retail.
Pittsburgh Area Power Center
- Provide complete retail leasing services for 475,000 square foot open-air regional shopping center.
Iconic Boston Area Regional Mall
- Represent client in a multi-party joint venture for the development of a regional mall, including drafting the LLC Agreement for the joint venture partner as well as the manager entity and the offering documents for the private offering.
Mixed Use Center in Southern Massachusetts
- Represent the developer in connection with construction financing, construction, subdivision (including creating the legal foundation for an integrated center covering separate real estate parcels owned by distinct entities), and leasing (including in-line retail and stand-alone ground leases) for a mixed use development.
Permitting of a new national pharmacy store
- Hinckley Allen represented a national pharmacy chain in the permitting of a new store in Woonsocket, RI that was met with significant neighborhood opposition. Our work includes successful representation of our client before the City Council, Zoning Board of Review and Planning Board. We also successfully defended project approvals against numerous appeals brought by neighbors.
- Partner (2015-Present)
- Associate (2006-2015)
- Summer Associate (2004)
Rhode Island Supreme Court Justice Francis X. Flaherty
- Law Clerk (2005-2006)
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, New England, Rising Star (2012-2015)
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Moses Brown School Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Save The Bay, Member and Annual Swim Participant
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers - National Next Generation Leadership Board
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts, 2005
- Rhode Island, 2005
January 8, 2015
Hinckley Allen is proud to announce that Victoria P. Lane and John R. Pariseault have been elected partners…
November 27, 2018
The Trend Toward Mixed-use Development If one leafs through any real estate trade journal or visits…
November 21, 2018
Hinckley Allen published A Practical Guide to the Qualified Opportunity Zone Program, which details a…
Hinckley Allen provided strategic counsel to Boylston Properties and The Wilder Companies, who recently…
Represent the developer in connection with construction financing, construction, subdivision (including…
March 8, 2017
We hope to see you at the Hartford International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Retail Connection.
July 19, 2016
We hope to see you at the Boston ICSC New England Idea Exchange The one-stop for education, networking…