We assist recipients of federally-funded research awards – from scientists in the laboratory to universities and academic medical centers – navigating complex issues involving research integrity and compliance in academic and related research. Composed of attorneys with deep experience in the areas of research compliance, government investigations, employment matters, and intellectual property, our team is equipped to handle a variety of multi-disciplinary concerns ranging from allegations of research misconduct and data manipulation, to potential violations of the False Claims Act and concerns for undue foreign influence, to disputes over ownership of Intellectual Property. We specialize in investigating potential civil and criminal fraud to advise individuals and organizations on how best to safeguard federal funds and avoid the harsh repercussions that flow from findings of research misconduct or noncompliance. We are well equipped to counsel clients on – and where necessary vigorously contest on their behalf – a broad spectrum of legal issues arising in the world of scientific research and integrity.
- Organizations. We represent institutions that are confronted with allegations of research misconduct within their ranks and must conduct inquiries, and possibly investigations, into those allegations. We assist hospitals and universities in ensuring that their policies are up to date and in compliance with the requirements of the Office of Research Integrity (ORI), the National Health Institutes (NIH), and other granting agencies. We help ensure that those policies are vigilantly implemented in the conduct of inquiries and investigations, so that institutions remain in the good graces of federal funding authorities.
- Individuals. We represent scientists from all over the country, and the world, who are accused of research misconduct and research-related fraud. Our experience and expertise in the field allow us to protect the reputations and livelihoods of those conducting groundbreaking scientific research and, where necessary, defend faculty members and researchers under scrutiny from various oversight agencies.
- Defended a university against a federal lawsuit alleging retaliation under the federal False Claims Act, based on the internal handling of an institutional research misconduct investigation.
- Secured dismissal of research misconduct allegations against tenured professor of a large university after inquiry stage and successfully challenged the composition of the original inquiry committee.
- Advised a university on handling reports of potential research misconduct involving data manipulation in National Science Foundation (NSF) grants.
- Secured three separate findings of “no misconduct” to close institutional misconduct proceedings brought against preeminent a mathematician, psychologist, and kinesiologist, respectively, based on allegations of self-plagiarism and text recycling brought by their respective Massachusetts and New York universities.
- Secured a finding of “no misconduct” to reverse preliminary findings of research misconduct made against a board-certified pediatric surgeon after completion by a large California hospital of aninstitutional investigation into allegations of data falsification/fabrication.
- Secured favorable supervision agreement after extensive negotiations with the Office of Research Integrity (ORI), on behalf of a Ph.D. researcher, twice accused of research misconduct and facing significant debarment from federal funding.
Faced with Office of Research Integrity (ORI) allegations of scientific misconduct and the resulting debarment order issued by an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), a prominent research scientist turned to …
News & Insight
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Counsel Lauren E. Dwyer has been selected as a co-chair of the Boston Bar Association's Ethics Committee.The BBA Ethics Committee issues written opinions from time to time in response to members' questions and q…
Hinckley Allen is proud to announce that Elizabeth McEvoy has been named a recipient of the Emerging Women Leaders in Law Award by the Women’s Bar Association. The award honors women attorneys who have demonstrated professional excellence or had a signif…
The Government’s increased scrutiny on potential foreign influence on U.S. based research remains in full force. While the federal government continues to prosecute individual scientists alleged to have received – and not disclosed – foreign support …
Elizabeth McEvoy assists businesses and individuals in navigating complex, and often highly-regulated legal matters, both criminal and civil. Her experience includes negotiating pre-litigation resolutions, complex commercial litigation, and representing in…