Jennifer focuses her practice on business law, with an emphasis on privately held and family owned businesses, commercial transactions, and creditors’ rights. She counsels clients on formation issues, succession planning, mergers and acquisitions, contract preparation, equipment leasing, distribution rights, licensing, and other commercial matters. Jennifer also represents creditors in insolvency and bankruptcy matters including workouts, preference and fraudulent transfer actions, the assumption of real estate leases, single purpose entity structures, the acquisition of assets from bankruptcy, and other issues facing both secured and unsecured creditors. She also counsels clients with respect to the structure of securitized loan transactions and prepares substantive non-consolidation opinions. Jennifer also represents indenture trustees on a variety of matters, including the transfer of mortgage servicing rights, default issues and transaction amendments.
Jennifer serves on Hinckley Allen’s Executive Committee.
Representative Bankruptcy Matters
- Chief workout and restructuring counsel to heavy civil construction company with over $1 billion in annual revenues, and subsequent role as special counsel in company’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
- Counsel to numerous third party plan proponents in Chapter 11 cases of equipment leasing, real estate and commercial/industrial companies culminating in confirmation of plans of reorganization.
- Counsel to landlords in national bankruptcy cases, including Circuit City, Divine Inc., Nortel Networks and Polaroid Corporation.
- Counsel to reclamation creditors in Federal Mogul and Delphi bankruptcy cases.
- Extensive experience representing purchasers in asset sales under § 363 with respect to a wide variety of assets, including commercial real estate, shopping mall leases, asphalt plant, hotels and manufacturing businesses.
- Counsel to numerous construction companies in the bankruptcy of owners, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers, addressing issues including project close-out, mechanics’ liens, settlement of claims and joint venture issues.
- Represented major financial institution in the bankruptcy of its principal contractor and addressed project close-out and mechanics’ lien issues.
- Counsel to creditor in a dispute over copyright ownership with a debtor attempting to sell assets free of the copyright interest.
- Represented holder of right of first refusal in bankruptcy of property owner.
- Successfully defended numerous preference and fraudulent transfer representing millions of dollars of exposure in bankruptcy cases throughout the United States.
Representative Corporate Trust Matters
- Counsel to two large financial institutions in prosecuting their claims against Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc. (“LBHI”) in connection with defaults occurring under securitized residential mortgage loans for which the financial institutions served as trustee. Representation included the formal mediation of claims against LBHI.
- Represented three large financial institutions in connection with the sale of over $60 billion in mortgage servicing rights from Aurora Loan Services LLC, a subsidiary of Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc., to Nationstar Mortgage LLC.
- Served as counsel to two large financial institutions in connection with a resignation and appointment of a successor indenture trustee and a successor Delaware trustee on multiple Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns and Merrill Lynch residential mortgage-backed securitization programs.
- Represented financial institutions in connection with the sale of numerous portfolios of mortgage servicing rights.
- Advise financial institutions with respect to default issues relating to default issues arising in securitized transactions.
- Executive Committee Member
- Partner (2009-Present)
- Associate (2001-2008)
- Summer Associate (2000)
Health Law Advocates, Inc.
- Research Assistant (1999)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers of America® (2018-2019)
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Massachusetts (2005-2016)
- Boston Bar Association, Law Day Honoree, Public Interest Leadership Program (2009)
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Boston YMCA, Education and Training Branch, Advisory Board Member
- Johns Hopkins, Alumni Association; Second Decade Society, Member
- MCLE 17th, 18th and 19th Annual New England Bankruptcy Law Conference, Co-Chair
- New England Network of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Co-Chair (2013-2015)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association; Bankruptcy Committee, Co-Chair (2017-2019); Young Lawyers Committee, Bankruptcy, Co-Chair (2004-2006); Public Interest Leadership Program, Member (2006-2007), Co-Chair (2014-2016)
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Massachusetts, 2002
- Rhode Island, 2002
- United States District Court, Massachusetts, 2002
- United States District Court, Rhode Island, 2010
- Moderator, “Surviving Mergers & Acquisitions, An In-House Perspective,” Boston Bar Association, 11/15/16.
- Panelist, “Building Women’s Success in your Organization,” Women in Construction Conference, 10/20/16.
- Moderator, “Secured Claims: Determination of Secured Status, Make-Whole Provisions, Yield Maintenance and Credit-Bidding,” American Bankruptcy Institute Northeast Conference, 7/10/15.
- Panelist – ‘Secured Claims,” MCLE 16th Annual New England Bankruptcy Law Conference 2014, 11/5/14.
- Moderator – “Deal Documents: The Transactional Side of a 363 Sale”, American Bankruptcy Institute Northeast Conference, 7/11/13.
- Panelist – “Effects of Bankruptcy Filing on Commercial Leases,” Real Estate Bar Association Foundation (REBA), 2013 Spring Conference, 5/6/13.
August 15, 2018
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition…
August 18, 2017
52 attorneys from Hinckley Allen were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2018 edition…
November 29, 2018
Jennifer V. Doran provides her insight regarding a recent court decision that determined a commercial…
October 20, 2018
Jennifer V. Doran provides her insight to the Concord Monitor regarding the retailer's fate in Concord…
VistaJet, the world's luxury aviation company, has placed a firm order for 56 new Bombardier Global aircraft,
May 18, 2017
Hinckley Allen Partner Jennifer V. Doran will be speaking at the Boston Bar Association's (BBA) 27th…
November 15, 2016
Hinckley Allen Partner Jennifer V. Doran moderated the panel discussion on Surviving Mergers & Acquisitions,