As Chair of the Construction Law Group, Joel’s primary focus has been representing general contractors, owners, and subcontractors in complex litigation. His practice concentrates on heavy civil projects including tunnels, bridges, highways, and wastewater-treatment plants, as well as office buildings, shopping centers, power plants, hospitals, schools, courthouses, airports, and marine projects.
In December 2014, Joel obtained final payment of $88.7 million out of a total recovery of $183 million from MassDOT on behalf of the Perini/Kiewit/Cashman joint venture on the Big Dig. The successful claim recoveries came after 300 days of arbitration and a number of lawsuits challenging the arbitrators’ awards.
Since 1990, Joel has been the firm’s team leader in representing the general contractors performing most of the construction of the “Big Dig” in Boston. This team of attorneys and consultants has provided day-to-day advice to contractors in connection with claims, contract negotiations, OSHA compliance, and other construction matters. In addition, he has litigated many claims before the Big Dig Disputes Review Boards and in federal and state court. Joel’s work on behalf of general contractors on the Big Dig has also involved bid protests, whistleblower suits, subcontractor claims, builders risk claims, and general contractor claims for additional compensation.
Joel serves on Hinckley Allen’s Executive Committee.
- Hinckley Allen
- Executive Committee Member
- Construction & Public Contracts Group Chair
- Massachusetts Appeals Court
- Clerk, Law Clerk to Chief Justice
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers® in America (2007-2019)
- Lawyer of the Year (2012-2014, 2016, 2018)
- Super Lawyers, Massachusetts, (2004-2018); Top 100 Lawyers (2007)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Pre-Eminent Peer Review Rating, Recipient
American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- American College of Construction Lawyers (ACCL), Fellow
- Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts, Board of Directors (2011-2013)
- Boston Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, Chair (2001-2003), Former Co-Chair
- Construction Industries of Massachusetts, Board of Directors (2008-2010), Member
- Construction Industry, Forum Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association: Section on Public Contracts
- The Moles, Member
- Utility Contractors Association of New England
- Massachusetts State Courts
- United States District Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States District Court, Massachusetts
- Published numerous articles in Construction law and industry publications
- Speaker at construction industry-related programs for American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association, Associated General Contractors, Federal Publications Inc., Engineering News Record, Construction Industries of Massachusetts, Utility Contractors of New England, and other trade groups
News & Insight
Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court: G4S Technology LLC v. Massachusetts Technology Park CorporationJune 1, 2018
In March 2016, a Massachusetts Suffolk Superior Court, applying then-existing law, ruled that a contractor that intentionally breached a design- build contract by not timely paying subcontractors forfeited its unrelated $14 million breach of contract claim…
The Super Lawyers has selected 38 Hinckley Allen attorneys as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.Super Lawyers, a Thomson…
Hinckley Allen is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers® has recognized 51 attorneys in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, including seven “Lawyers of the Year.” Only one lawyer in each specialty in each region is honored as a “La…
The Super Lawyers has selected 39 Hinckley Allen attorneys as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.Super Lawyers, a Thomson…
Hinckley, Allen & Snyder LLP is pleased to announce that Best Lawyers has recognized partners Noble F. Allen, Christine K. Bush, William S. Fish, Joel Lewin, Robin L. Main, Thomas S. Marrion, Gerald J. Petros, and David A.NOBLE F.
Noble F.Jomarie T.Robert J.James J.Leon C.John J.William W.Christine K.
Hinckley Allen Partner Joel Lewin Named “Lawyer of the Year” in Litigation – Construction by Best LawyersAugust 17, 2015
Joel Lewin, a partner at Hinckley Allen, was named the Best Lawyers® 2016 Litigation – Construction “Lawyer of the Year” in Boston, MA. Joel previously received this honor in 2012,2013 and 2014.Best Lawyers, which compiles annual listings of outsta…
The final contractor dispute related to Boston’s Central Artery/Tunnel Project, known as the Big Dig, has resulted in a landmark settlement totaling $183 million for contractors Tutor Perini, Kiewit Corp. and Jay Cashman. Hinckely Allen represented the c…
Partner Joel Lewin will speak on a panel at the Massachusetts Municipal Lawyers Association 7th Annual Public Construction Update, ""From All Sides: A Multi-Dimensional Perspective on Current Issues in Public Construction." This panel of experienced cons…