Nick is a corporate attorney with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, and corporate governance. He has broad financial expertise as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Nick’s transactional experience ranges from representing companies in mergers, acquisitions, and recapitalizations, including asset and stock deals on both the buy-side and sell-side. Nick represents companies in all stages of business, including emerging and developing companies, established private middle-market businesses, and public companies.
Nick is active in the healthcare industry and serves on the Board of Directors of Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island, the state’s largest health insurer. He is a member of the Board of Governors of the Catholic Foundation of Rhode Island.
- Represented Covia Holdings Corp. (NYSE:CVIA), a leading provider of mineral-based and material solutions for the Industrial and Energy markets, in the $105 million sale of its subsidiary The Winchester and Western Railroad Company, a Class III short line railroad with over 100 miles of track, to OmniTRAX, Inc.
- Represented the Nashville & Eastern Railroad Corp. (NERR), Nashville & Western Railroad Corp. (NWR), Transit Solutions Group, a commuter rail operation, and three related operating entities in their merger and sale to R.J. Corman Railroad Company.
- Advises a NYSE-listed owner and manager of casino operations on corporate and contract matters.
- Represented a private Dutch holding company in the cross-border acquisition of a controlling interest in a leading Boston-based national fish and seafood distributor with over $160 million in annual revenue.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of polymer films and pressure sensitive tapes for the automotive and aerospace industry, with $50 million in revenue, in its reorganization and sale to a NYSE publicly traded specialty engineered materials company.
- Represented a privately-held regional leader in the integrated solid waste services industry in its $90 million sale to a NYSE publicly-traded waste collection, transfer, disposal and recycling services company.
- Represented a leading IT services firm with $140 million in annual sales, in its reorganization and sale, creating a company with $525 million in revenue and 1,400 employees.
- Represented a national plumbing, heating, and cooling company in its reorganization and stock sale for a purchase price in excess of $20 million along with sale of shareholders’ commercial real estate portfolio for a purchase price exceeding $30 million.
- Acted as outside counsel to a regional blood banking, blood services, and blood-testing laboratory business in its merger with a national blood banking and laboratory conglomerate.
- Represented several purchasers and sellers of independent insurance agencies in multimillion dollar transactions with a variety of deal structures.
- Hinckley Allen
- Associate (2018-Present)
- Duffy & Sweeney, LTD
- Associate (2016-2018)
- Bogue, Moylan + Marino, LLP (now Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP)
- Associate (2015-2016)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 2016
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), 2011
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island, Board of Directors (2016-Present), Audit Committee Vice Chair, Finance Committee Member
- Catholic Foundation of Rhode Island, Board of Governors (2017-Present)
- Town of West Warwick Pension Board (2011-2016), Chairman (2013-2016)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) - New England Chapter
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Rhode Island
- Providence College, Accounting Capstone Course, “Risk Management and Corporate Governance” (2017)
- Rhode Island Foundation, “Nonprofit Board Governance” (2017)
- Brown University, Watson Institute for International Affairs, “Financial Management of Nonprofits” (2015)
- Bryant University, Master of Science in Taxation Program, “Choice of Entity and Legal Practice” (2015)
- Rhode Island Society of CPAs, “Beginning Your Practice in Public Accounting and Industry” (2015)
- Brown University, Business, Entrepreneurship, & Organizations Program, “Corporate Governance” (2014)
News & Insight
With the deadline for businesses to apply for loans under the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) passing on June 30th, Congress voted on Wednesday, July 1st to extend the deadline for submitting PPP loan applications …
SBA Releases Updated PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications and Instructions, Amends Existing Rules Based on PPPFA – Key Takeaways for BorrowersJune 24, 2020
This article was updated on June 24, 2020 to reflect changes to the PPP made by the new Interim Final Rule issued by the SBA on June 22, 2020 (the "June 22 Interim Rule"). A borrower may submit a loan forgiveness application before the end of the borrower…
Update: On June 5, the President signed the PPPFA into law.Update: On June 3, the PPPFA was passed unanimously by the Senate without amendment. It now goes to President Trump, who has indicated support for the bill’s aims, for signature.On May 28, 2020, …
On May 22, seven days after releasing the Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) loan forgiveness application and instructions, the Small Business Administration (“SBA”) released an Interim Final Rule on Loan Forgiveness (the “Forgiveness Rule”) a…
This publication was featured in New England Real Estate Journal on June 16, 2020.On May 15, the Small Business Administration (“SBA”) released the much-awaited Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) loan forgiveness application and instructions (“S…
Paycheck Protection Program: SBA Extends Safe Harbor Deadline to 5/18 and Issues New Guidance on “Necessity of the Loan” CertificationMay 14, 2020
On May 13, 2020, the SBA issued additional guidance extending the safe harbor period for PPP borrowers’ to make a determination of their “necessity of the loan” certification in light of the newly issued SBA guidance, from May 14, 2020 to May 18, 2…
House Democrats Propose Significant Changes to Paycheck Protection Program in New $3 Trillion Stimulus BillMay 14, 2020
Update: On Friday, May 15, 2020, the House passed H.R. 6800 (the "HEROES Act" for short) by a vote of 208-199.In a new $3 trillion stimulus bill (H.R. 6800) introduced in the House of Representatives on May 12, House Democrats proposed various measures to …
Paycheck Protection Program: Deadline Extended to 5/14, Updated Guidance on Other Sources of LiquidityMay 6, 2020
Update: On May 5, 2020, the SBA issued Frequently Asked Question #43 which extended the repayment date for the safe harbor described below to May 14, 2020, and indicated that further SBA Guidance as to how it will review the “necessity of the loan” cer…
SBA Issues New FAQ Clarifying Effect of Employees Who Won’t Return to Work on Paycheck Protection Program Loan ForgivenessMay 5, 2020
One of the most attractive features of the Small Business Administration’s (“SBA”) Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) loans is a borrower’s eligibility for loan forgiveness if loan proceeds are spent appropriately. However, the amount of the l…
New Paycheck Protection Program Rules for Self-Employed Individuals; SBA Announces No More New PPP or EIDL Applications Due to Exhaustion of FundingApril 16, 2020
UPDATE – On April 16, 2020, the Small Business Administration (“SBA”) announced it is unable to accept new applications for the Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) and Economic Injury Disaster Loan (“EIDL”) COVID-19 program (including emergen…
SBA Issues Interim Final Rule for Paycheck Protection Program: Key Takeaways for Your Loan ApplicationApril 8, 2020
This article was originally published on April 3, 2020 and has been updated based on the April 8, 2020 updates to the SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program Loans Frequently Asked Questions (“FAQs”), found here.On April 2, 2020, the Small Business Adminis…
The SBA has issued guidance on the affiliation rules (the (“Guidance”) applicable to the implementation of the Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”). For purposes of determining the number of employees of an applicant to the PPP (which requires an ap…
Payroll Loans and Loan Forgiveness: New Relief Opportunities for Small Businesses under the CARES Act’s Paycheck Protection ProgramMarch 27, 2020
This afternoon the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”), a nearly $2 trillion stimulus package to help address the economic impact of the recent COVID-19 pandemic was signed into law. Included in the CARES Act is a Paycheck …
Hinckley Allen is pleased to welcome the following attorneys to Hinckley Allen: Shasky L. Clarke, Lisa M. DeFronzo, Nicholas A. Denice, Amanda A. Garganese, Richard A. Goulding, III, Gina K. Kim, and Jenna M. Montesano.