Wendy Venoit is a partner in the Construction Practice Group of Hinckley Allen. Her practice focuses on the litigation and arbitration of domestic and international construction disputes, including litigation in state and federal forums, and mediation and arbitration before the AAA, JAMS, LCIA, ICDR and ICC. She primarily represents EPC contractors, general contractors and construction managers, but has also represented owners. She is an experienced trial attorney, having handled dozens of construction disputes, some involving claims in excess of $1 billion. Wendy also has extensive experience prosecuting and defending complex insurance disputes arising out of construction projects. She also serves as an arbitrator and is a member of the panel of neutrals of the AAA (Construction), ICDR, CPR (Construction, Insurance Policy Holder Coverage, and Boston at Large ADR Panels), LCIA, and ICC and is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Prior to joining Hinckley Allen, Wendy was the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary for Suffolk Construction Company, Inc. In that role, she provided legal advice to the Executive Committee, corporate departments and regional management; oversaw the negotiation of the company’s largest construction management agreements; proactively worked with management to identify risk on construction projects and implement risk mitigation plans; managed and worked with outside counsel on litigation matters, and, generally, handled all legal matters for the corporation.
- Pace University School of Law, J.D.
- magna cum laude
- Holy Cross University, B.A.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Connecticut
- State of New Hampshire
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Second and Third Circuits
- United States District Court of Connecticut, New Jersey, Central District of Illinois, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Eastern District of New York, Northern District of New York, and Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Hinckley Allen
- Partner (2016 - Present)
- Suffolk Construction Company, Inc.
- Vice President & General Counsel
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- ABA Forum on Construction Law: Chair (2017 - 2018); Chair of the Forum (2016 - 2017); Member of the Governing Committee (2011-2015), Chair of the Membership Committee (2013-2016), Past Chair of Division 8 (International Construction), GC Liaison to 2014 Annual Meeting (New Orleans, LA), Program Co-Chair of 2009 Midwinter Meeting (Bonita Springs, FL)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA), Board Council; Member of the Board of Directors; Panel of Construction Neutrals
- American College of Construction Lawyers (ACCL), Fellow
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member
- Connecticut Lawyers Collaborative on Diversity, former Treasurer and member of Board of Directors
- CPR: International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, Panel of Distinguished Neutrals — Insurance Policy Holder Coverage Panel, Construction Panel and Boston at Large ADR Panel (Commercial)
- International Bar Association (IBA), International Construction Projects Group
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution, Neutral and International Advisory Committee Member
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Professional Women in Construction, Connecticut Chapter: Founder, Past President, Past Treasurer, and Past Secretary
- Women in Construction, Board Member
Honors & Awards
- International Who's Who of Construction Law (2013-2014, 2016)
- Hartford Business Journal Who's Who of Construction Law, "40 under Forty" (2007)
- Connecticut Law Tribune New Leaders of the Law Award for "Development of the Law" (2005)
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Preeminent Rated
- MS Society, Connecticut Chapter, "Corporate Achiever" Award (2008)